OP and Rose of Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Well the other day we had run of Spring Mix and hubby forgot it when he went to the store. (totally embarrassed) I ran out side and grabbed some dandelion leaves (I know not the best choice) which OP loves. I saw the Rose of Sharon in bloom and grabbed a couple of flowers as well.
Now the last time these were in bloom OP wanted nothing to do with them. Not so this time. He ate all of the flowers and left all of the dandelion behind. :rolleyes:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Interesting how that happens isn't it? Seems OP was in the mood for a bit of color along with flavor in his meal that day. :D Jealous, as my Altheas only have buds, no open blooms yet.

M

Maggie Cummings

dandelion leaves are good food too. I walk the area and collect them for Bob he eats them a lot and they're free food...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dandelion greens and the flowers are always a hit with my guys...and I agree, they are a good food for tortoise :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Question folks, before you had tortoises, did you really ever notice all the wonderful weeds there are growing around you? Well other then thinking they needed to be cut or pulled out?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Before I owned a tortoise, I used to use weed-n-feed alot to get ride of all the unwated weeds, now I can't even get most weeds to grow..:p

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I grab dandelion leaves from the front yard all the time. I'll even grab them from the neighbors yard. In fact, the neighbor offered to allow me to go in his backyard once :p

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
LOL you guys are too funny. My yard is all dirt with some weeds. Most dandelion and the wrong kind of clover. OP does usually love the dandelion, but I'm glad to see the Rose of Sharon has more use than just leaving a mess of leaves and flower on the ground and attact bees. And that stuff just grows and grows and grows.......

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
This morning OP had a soak, then some spring mix:

100_1268.jpg

Went into his outdoor enclosure where he chomped on some grass:

100_1269.jpg

Then I threw in some Rose of Sharon flowers and he made a bee line for the flowers and they disappeared in a few minutes!
100_1282.jpg

100_1284.jpg

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
I know where all the dandelions are on my ride home from work, They only grow here from march to late may, i take sveral routes home during that time and collect at different stops, My wife thinks i am crazy, she might be right but silo never tires of them and he grew up on them and mazuri and has a nice smooth carapace. I can spot them a mile away now.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tczar said:
I know where all the dandelions are on my ride home from work, They only grow here from march to late may, i take sveral routes home during that time and collect at different stops, My wife thinks i am crazy, she might be right but silo never tires of them and he grew up on them and mazuri and has a nice smooth carapace. I can spot them a mile away now.

Never thought of a growing season for dandelions. That must be why I can't for the life of me get the seeds to sprout. It must be too hot now, but I thought dandelions loved the heat and would grow anywhere/anytime???!!! When you get them you don't want them, when you want them you can't get them...hmmmmm.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
DesertGrandma said:
tczar said:

Never thought of a growing season for dandelions. That must be why I can't for the life of me get the seeds to sprout. It must be too hot now, but I thought dandelions loved the heat and would grow anywhere/anytime???!!! When you get them you don't want them, when you want them you can't get them...hmmmmm.

once it reaches the 90s here there stems thicken and they get spikey edged leaves, they r all gone after that unless u can find a real shady wet spot

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
DesertGrandma said:
tczar said:

Never thought of growing dandelions on purpose. Can't get rid of them here. Maybe I won't have that problem as OP get bigger. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.