only eating greens

dar64

5 Year Member
All three of my Leopards will only eat a variety of greens. They won't touch hibiscus , flowers, fig leaves or grass, weeds etc. Any idea how to get them to eat any of these things. Also do any of you give cape honeysuckle ?
Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises are creatures of habit. They eat what they have eaten before. You will need to introduce new foods by chopping them up and introducing small amounts at a time. If you finely chop both the new and old stuff and mix it all up really well, they won't have a choice and will eventually begin to recognize the new stuff as something to eat. Just keep doing it and they will come around.

I feed cape honeysuckle flowers and leaves occasionally.

dar64

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Tortoises are creatures of habit. They eat what they have eaten before. You will need to introduce new foods by chopping them up and introducing small amounts at a time. If you finely chop both the new and old stuff and mix it all up really well, they won't have a choice and will eventually begin to recognize the new stuff as something to eat. Just keep doing it and they will come around.

I feed cape honeysuckle flowers and leaves occasionally.

Thank you Tom. There are quite a few of the same weeds around here but not a huge variety in my yard. I'm afraid I would be giving them something bad if I chop the weeds. so I was just thinking if they were interested in them they may pick at them and leave any that were bad for them. Some of them have rough or fine thorns. I'm in Arizona. I wonder if there are any books on different areas that show pictures of weeds and whether they are dangerous to certain species or not. I know I'm dreaming :rolleyes: LOL

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
It took my leopard more than a year to start eating other things than greens. I've tried chopping and mixing and not really worked, as he instead avoided to eat completely.

Finally, what I did was to keep giving the greens he would accept to eat and at the same time keep putting the weeds in the enclosure and reduced the greens portion gradually. Sometimes, I would only provide the weeds and he would totally ignored it. I continued doing that for a year. At last, hunger won and he started to eat weeds on his own, less at first. More and more each time. Now I almost never provide any greens for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is an app called "Garden Compass" that Cowboy Ken told us about. You snap a cell pic and send it off and they get back to you with weed ID and tips for killing them. The app is sponsored by Ortho, but they don't need to know we really just want to know which ones are edible...

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I used to sneak food under the lettuce for my Russian. He caught on though. You can also grind the food up and sprinkle it over (not sure how to do that with weeds lolz). The other trick can be to put a bit of flavored supplement. I use stick tongue farms for my animals (the indoor version). Mine is strawberry flavored.

My tort is super picky as well. I thought I was alone on this. Even the supplement doesn't work on him. If I don't put the food he likes into his bowl he gives me this look and walks away back to his hide. He is very posh

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
Mine seems to go through phases. For 6 mos, all she would eat was Mazuri. Then Romaine, then she got hooked on bell peppers for a couple weeks. She won't eat hay, but loves grass, outside. So long as it doesn't look like you're giving it to her (because she's an independent tortoise and doesn't need your help, thank you)

Also loves violets and buttercups.

Haaates ZooMed grassland tortoise pellets. if you try to mix in chopped up greens, she smashes it around with her face and then stares at you.

Sent from my Coolpad Flo using Tapatalk

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most of the weeds here are really good for tortoises, even the ones with thorns. The good winter weeds are starting to die off, so you'd better hurry and get them going on them before they're gone. :)

What I have experienced a lot is that it's usually not the type of food that makes tortoises picky, it's how it is presented. I find that tortoises are more accepting of new foods when they are outdoors in large areas and able to graze...more "comfortable" settings you might say...for a tortoise. Another trick is to introduce small amounts of the unfamiliar food with the familiar food and gradually increasing the amount of the unfamiliar food until they start eating it by itself.

dar64

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
It took my leopard more than a year to start eating other things than greens. I've tried chopping and mixing and not really worked, as he instead avoided to eat completely.

Finally, what I did was to keep giving the greens he would accept to eat and at the same time keep putting the weeds in the enclosure and reduced the greens portion gradually. Sometimes, I would only provide the weeds and he would totally ignored it. I continued doing that for a year. At last, hunger won and he started to eat weeds on his own, less at first. More and more each time. Now I almost never provide any greens for him.

Yes, this is what happens if I add anything to the greens. They stop eating completely. I just don't want them to get hungry because none of them were fed that great early on.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I have the same issue with Lou I just keep adding hat I want him to eat an hope h will take too it. He ate it the first day no issue but now he just pushes it around until he finds what he wants to eat lol. I just follow Toms advice. I have never read anything he's posted that hasn't made sense to me. I don't understand why so many people argue with him. His any years of experience and his vast knowledge of torts has me convinced he won't steer us wrong

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As Neal pointed out, its all in the presentation.

Use a favorite food and mince it all up super fine. Then add just a tiny amount of the new stuff that is also all minced up and thoroughly mix it all in. It should be the equivalent of when you see a tiny fleck of parsley or chive in your mashed potatoes. You might not want to eat plain parsley or whole chives as a bite by themselves, but when a tiny bit is mixed in with the rest of your meal you don't even notice it. The other trick is persistence. Don't give up after just a day or two. This process might take weeks or months. If done correctly with a multitude of foods, the end result is a tortoise that will eat just about anything you put in front of it. It takes time for them to recognize the new smells, tastes and textures as food.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LoutheRussian said:
I have the same issue with Lou I just keep adding hat I want him to eat an hope h will take too it. He ate it the first day no issue but now he just pushes it around until he finds what he wants to eat lol. I just follow Toms advice. I have never read anything he's posted that hasn't made sense to me. I don't understand why so many people argue with him. His any years of experience and his vast knowledge of torts has me convinced he won't steer us wrong

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Lol speaking of typos. Do you type on touch screen? I also do a lot of typos when I reply from my android.

First, I also find a lot of Tom's advices good, but please keep the "don't understand bla bla bla" parts to yourself. Many people have their own opinions and ways to care for their beloved pets.

When people in my local forum have problem with feeding variant of diets to their torts, I share the ways people describe here in TFO, like starving, chopping & mixing. Unfortunately, I didn't find chopping and mixing good for my tortoise, and I tried starving that seemed to bring negative impact to mines. Thus I share my way above, which so far has worked for my few collections...

For notes, I wouldn't recommend starving on small torts. I don't think they have the same endurance as the big ones.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Yellow Turtle said:
LoutheRussian said:

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Lol speaking of typos. Do you type on touch screen? I also do a lot of typos when I reply from my android.

First, I also find a lot of Tom's advices good, but please keep the "don't understand bla bla bla" parts to yourself. Many people have their own opinions and ways to care for their beloved pets.

When people in my local forum have problem with feeding variant of diets to their torts, I share the ways people describe here in TFO, like starving, chopping & mixing. Unfortunately, I didn't find chopping and mixing good for my tortoise, and I tried starving that seemed to bring negative impact to mines. Thus I share my way above, which so far has worked for my few collections...

For notes, I wouldn't recommend starving on small torts. I don't think they have the same endurance as the big ones.
I simply made a statement about an observation I made about people wanting to argue with a mod on this forum and someone who has many many years of experience. If you don't like my comment then that is your issue. I will continue to post what I want as long as I am not

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Yellow Turtle said:
LoutheRussian said:

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

I was making a statement about an observation I made about people wanting to argue with a mod and someone who has many years of experience. I will continue to make statements as long as I am not being rude or attacking anyone. If you have a problem with what I post then that is your issue. I never made any comment towards you or anything you said. I am new to being a caregiver for tortoises and I read and take in advice from everyone who has more experience than me. Some more than other but none the less I pay attention to what everyone is saying and when I have a question I listen to the answers I am given and don't argue with those helping me.

And yes I do use a touch screen and the amount of spelling and grammatical errors sometimes frustrates me to no end.

I hope everyone has a wonderful night and is able to get their torts to eat whatever it is the are trying to add. I know I am trying to add mazuri into my torts diet and he seems to like it so far but we will see how future feedings go.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LoutheRussian said:
I was making a statement about an observation I made about people wanting to argue with a mod and someone who has many years of experience. I will continue to make statements as long as I am not being rude or attacking anyone. If you have a problem with what I post then that is your issue. I never made any comment towards you or anything you said. I am new to being a caregiver for tortoises and I read and take in advice from everyone who has more experience than me. Some more than other but none the less I pay attention to what everyone is saying and when I have a question I listen to the answers I am given and don't argue with those helping me.

And yes I do use a touch screen and the amount of spelling and grammatical errors sometimes frustrates me to no end.

I hope everyone has a wonderful night and is able to get their torts to eat whatever it is the are trying to add. I know I am trying to add mazuri into my torts diet and he seems to like it so far but we will see how future feedings go.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

First I don't have problem with your opinion, I merely give a bit comment of it, as I always do when I feel like to.

Second I find you are very amusing with the way you share your opinions here. Before your post, I don't see anyone debating Tom's suggestion nor attacking any mod in this thread. I ONLY see people sharing their opinions and you took them AS IF someone is attacking Tom.

Finally, I'm hoping you sleep and dream well right now, and your dear Russian Lou can forever eat mazuri and whatever diet stuffs you are going to feed him in the future. :D

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Yellow Turtle said:
LoutheRussian said:

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

First I don't have problem with your opinion, I merely give a bit comment of it, as I always do when I feel like to.

Second I find you are very amusing with the way you share your opinions here. Before your post, I don't see anyone debating Tom's suggestion nor attacking any mod in this thread. I ONLY see people sharing their opinions and you took them AS IF someone is attacking Tom.

Finally, I'm hoping you sleep and dream well right now, and your dear Russian Lou can forever eat mazuri and whatever diet stuffs you are going to feed him in the future. :D
Before this becomes an argument between the two of us I will concede to you that I may have misinterpreted what was being said on this thread. However my comment of arguing with experienced members and/or mods was not pertaining solely to this thread.
Let us not allow this thread to digress any farther because there is a lot of good information here that I will use myself while trying to get Lou to not only eat his favorites but also the foods he needs to gain the proper nutrition and balanced diet.
Have a good night yellow turtle. I hope any future interactions between us will be civil and more productive than what we are doing now.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian