One year old enclosure temperature

SummerDulwich

Location (City and/or State)
London
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 18.26.26.pngScreenshot 2024-03-05 at 18.26.47.png
screenshot-2024-03-05-at-18-26-34-png.367389
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 18.26.41.png
Hello,
I have just set up our new tortoise table. The lamp is 30cm from her shell as instructed but the temp does not get up to 30degrees as needed. I am not sure if I am allowed to lower the bulb or if there is another way to make sure she can bask at the correct temp. The thermometer probe is at the same level as her shell and is only getting to 21. I set the controller to 32 but it doesn't get that hot.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't want her to get cold and am confused.
Best wishes, Lucy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A one year old should be in a closed chamber with high humidity not in one of those enclosures that shouldn't be sold for tortoises.
Rig a top to cover the whole enclosure. Most use a greenhouse like pictured.
Then yes, lower the bulb or get higher watt to get the right temps
20240215_075123-COLLAGE.jpg

SummerDulwich

London
Oh thank you.

I have a closed chamber one 3ftx1.5ft (like an ikea cabinet with glass front) but I read she needed more space and should be on a table.

What age is a table for?
When I bought the table, it said from age 1yr.

Do you suggest I move her back into the chamber or rig the greenhouse?
Happy to do whatever is best of course.

SummerDulwich

London
I have moved the light lower so she is the right temperature now. She looks much happier/more movement.

Now to sort humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh thank you.

I have a closed chamber one 3ftx1.5ft (like an ikea cabinet with glass front) but I read she needed more space and should be on a table.

What age is a table for?

Dimming thermostats are for ambient heat like a CHE. You don't want the basking lamp on a thermostat turning on and off all day. The heat lamp needs to be on a timer. Check the temperature under it by placing a digital thermometer on its back directly under the bulb and letting it cook there for an hour. Adjust the height of your bulb to get the temp right around 36C.

Enclosure size is based on tortoise size, not age. They all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. A Russian could be 50 grams at two years old or 500. At the size that your appears to be, it is ready for a MUCH larger tortoise table or viv. You need something around 122x244cm.

Much more here for you:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh thank you.

What age is a table for?

No, the other enclosure is too small. Get a greenhouse. A 3x8 would last to and thru adulthood.

SummerDulwich

London
Thank you both so much.

At what age does she become an Adult?

The vet and online research told me that horsefields need less humid surroundings. So a table was ideal for airflow as long as she can get up to 32 near her lamp and have some UV. I was recommended and have this table size - 150cmx60cmx20cm, she is about 10cm herself.

Is this incorrect? So much contradictory information it is very hard to figure out what is right.

Thank you