One question

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hey guys next weekend is the reptile show in Hamm and I will get to 99% a pair of I. forstenii. So my question is do you think it is enough to keep the male in an enclosure without cover? Temperatures outside in the room is tropical. Or should I have to build a "normal terrarium"?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem with open tables is that the room conditions are usually not the right conditions for the tortoise. If the room conditions are correct for the tortoise, then an open table should work just fine. The purpose of a closed chamber or normal terrarium is to keep cold, dry room air away from the tortoise.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes that's what I'm thinking about...
I also keep my homes in this room with open Terra's but i don't know...
Do you think it is good if I make foil on the top which I can open every time? And on the side some openings for air?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The the heat and humidity in the room are correct for the species, why would you want to cover the top with foil?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
The the heat and humidity in the room are correct for the species, why would you want to cover the top with foil?

I don't know I didn't really think about it :-D but I speak with him and he keeps the pair with 22C under the lamp 28C and 60-80% humidity.. So no problem. I will build a normal wood tank this week I will post pictures ;-) I'm so exited the pair is one of the last bloodlines which exist in Europe.. So only these two animals exist from this bloodlines...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I don't know I didn't really think about it :-D but I speak with him and he keeps the pair with 22C under the lamp 28C and 60-80% humidity.. So no problem. I will build a normal wood tank this week I will post pictures ;-) I'm so exited the pair is one of the last bloodlines which exist in Europe.. So only these two animals exist from this bloodlines...
Cool. Well forstenii actually come form some dry forests in Sulawesi but ambient moisture is relatively high because of the canopy forests and Eco system there. But they will go through a monsoon season which will expose them to wet moist conditions. I think your ambient temps and moisture should be fine in the room. No need to close them in if it's working well for homeana.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Cool. Well forstenii actually come form some dry forests in Sulawesi but ambient moisture is relatively high because of the canopy forests and Eco system there. But they will go through a monsoon season which will expose them to wet moist conditions. I think your ambient temps and moisture should be fine in the room. No need to close them in if it's working well for homeana.

Yes that's right I keep my juveniles forstenii in wet conditions. So constant 80% humidity and it works too. The funny thing is that my adult homes pair live in the room in a terrarium which is closed because it doesn't work in an open one. The juveniles can live in open terrariums and everything is ok.. So we'll see what happen with forstenii..