One or two horsefield tortoise's?

aimeeo54

Hello my names Aimee and I just got a new 1 year old horsefield tortoise from the pet store and wondered if it would be better to have two to keep him some company? I've only had him four days.
I have a pen that is big enough for two with rocks and wooden bridges and a bed area so they'll have plenty of room. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389286339.506514.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Aimee:

Welcome to the Forum!

No, unless your Russians are outside in a very large yard, don't get another one. They don't need company. They don't get lonely. In fact, when you put two together, they fight. So having one is best.

Your little tortoise is very cute. He's captive bred, right? You can always tell by the pristine look their shell has.

I'd like to make a suggestion or two. Get rid of the sand substrate. If your tortoise accidentally eats some of it on his food, he may become impacted. Also, dig the substrate away and sink the food and water dishes down into the substrate so its even with the top of the substrate. See how your little guy is high-centered? It's hard for him to get in there to his food.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Aimee welcome to the TFO from AZ . Remember torts lay their eggs and walk away they don't have mother thoughts . That may help you understand they are loners until mating
Time and then back to being loners .
But good luck with your new tort

aimeeo54

Yvonne what would you suggest instead of sand ? I did have sawdust but read that that could irritate his eyes so took it all out and laid sand so he could dig.
I've pushed his food bowl down and his water bowl is smaller so he can reach that with ease.

Yeah I understand he'll be better on his own and he doesn't mind it, I just think sometimes he's lonely ha ha. Just me been a muppet ha ha x

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Aimee, you could use regular dirt from your yard as long as it hasn't been messed with (bug sprays, pesticides, weed sprays). I currently have topsoil, which you can get from a hardware store, in one of my tanks and a substrate called coco coir. Not all hardware stores carry it, but you could also use Eco earth with mulch as a bedding (and it also creates natural humidity in the right setup). Good luck and keep asking questions!