Om and Opal's New Digs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutha

5 Year Member
We just finished a tort table for Om and Opal. I think they're going to love it; especially considering their home when I found them. The outside is not very attractive, but it's the inside that matters!

We lined the whole thing with some linoleum. We went back and forth on whether to glue it down, then decide to just staple it over the edges so it can be removed and cleaned/changed more easily. It certainly won't hold water, but I think it's sufficiently water resistant. Luckily, we made it all easy to change.

We let the linoleum air out overnight, then this morning put cypress mulch in their hide and reptile bark in the outside area. We also lined the hide with contractors paper for easier cleaning (I read that they urinate in there to get the humidity up). We're letting the substrate air out right now (the reptile bark has a really strong smell). I'm not sure I care for the reptile bark, but they didn't have enough cypress at the pet store, and they had a big bag of the reptile bark.

We put 4 ceramic tiles in the back corner for basking. The light we have now holds two bulbs, so we put in a 100 watt soft white, and a Zoo Med UVB 10 (there was an article someone posted that had a breakdown of the output of the lights and I think this combo covers their needs). I plan to hang the lights 18" or so above the tile (using metal strap from the ceiling, so it'll be easy to adjust the height).

The two tiles in the front corner (easily reachable for changing) is where we're going to put the water. Right now we're using a paint roller tray, which is OK for one of them, but we want to get something bigger so they can both fit. I like the basking area next to the water because in my mind it's like the beach. Go for dip, then lay out and dry off on the beach. Well, there's no sand, but that's pending more research. I read that sand isn't great for tortoises in general, but I think it'll be fine for these guys (in nature, they seem to prefer areas with dry sand dunes).

The single tile in the front (again for an easy reach) is where we'll put the food, probably on a paper plate.

Finally, we'll need to add some plants and decor (haven't decided on that yet) and hang the heat lamp. We also might need to widen the opening to the hide a bit. At least the big things are done now.

PA240001.jpg

PA240003.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brutha:

That's a great-looking tort table. I wish you had included one of the tortoises in there so I could get an idea of its size compared to the sizes of the tortoises.

You've really taken it to heart with these rescued tortoises. Good luck with them. Are they eating for you?

Brutha

5 Year Member
I haven't put them in yet. I wanted it to let it air out, and I have to clear out the spot the table's going to sit, move their light, etc. I'll put up some more pictures with them inside once I have everything in place.

They're eating, but not as much as I thought they would and are a little slow moving, but I think that might be because their temporary housing is too cool (68-72 ambient, ?? basking). Once they're in their new place, I'll work on the temperatures and hopefully their activity improves. They seem to perk up after a warm bath.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am concerned about the strong smell you mentioned...it's not pine or cedar is it?

Brutha

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I am concerned about the strong smell you mentioned...it's not pine or cedar is it?
It says it's 100% pure Fir bark. It's called Zoo-Med Repti Bark.

murdocjunior said:
Very nice love the linoleum. What kind of torts do u have?
They're Gopherus. I rescued them after their original owner died. The thread on all of that (including their former enclosure) is here:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Animal-lover-in-need-of-help-and-advice-ASAP

emysemys said:
That's a great-looking tort table. I wish you had included one of the tortoises in there so I could get an idea of its size compared to the sizes of the tortoises.

Well they're in the new place now. They explored all over and tried pushing on all of the walls. They knocked the inner walls out a little bit, so I added reinforcement.

For whatever reason, I never noticed any poo in the old enclosure, but shortly after they were in the new place they had took a couple big ones. It looked pretty normal to me. I'm a little relieved because I was worried that I didn't find any before.

I put the crash pads that I use for rock climbing around the new place in case they figure out a way to get over the edge that I didn't cover. I think I'll add some corner caps soon just to be safe. They didn't get close going over, but that wasn't for lack of trying.

I've got the light on a timer now, too. It's set it for 7AM-7PM. Eventually, I want make a controller that will mimic sunrise/sunset (though the UVB CFL will only work on/off), control the temperature, etc.

PA2400053.jpg

PA2400054.jpg

PA240006.jpg

PA240015.jpg

PA240016.jpg

PA240017.jpg

PA240020.jpg

PA240024.jpg

PA240025.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are so gorgeous. You are so very lucky.

Personally, I don't like the repti-bark. It doesn't hold moisture well, it will mold, and it stains them red in my experience. I would try to find a Home Depot or Lowes that carries the big bags of cypress mulch. It is only $2-3 a bag.

As far as adding sand, I wouldn't. Yes they live in dunes in the wild, but, in captivity sand is too drying, and if accidentally ingested, can cause fatal impactions.

Fantastic job with them so far!

Brutha

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
They are so gorgeous. You are so very lucky.

Thanks. We've gotten attached to them pretty quickly. My favorite part is watching them eat.

kyryah said:
Personally, I don't like the repti-bark. It doesn't hold moisture well, it will mold, and it stains them red in my experience. I would try to find a Home Depot or Lowes that carries the big bags of cypress mulch. It is only $2-3 a bag.

I'm not going to go with the Repti Bark again. I saw some cypress mulch at Lowe's, but I wasn't sure if it was pure cypress or not. There was a thread somewhere where they found out that there was pine and other stuff in the cypress mulch. It probably would have been fine, but we'll try to find out. Then again, we can probably just go to one of the landscaping places. They usually know more about what's in the mulch.

kyryah said:
As far as adding sand, I wouldn't. Yes they live in dunes in the wild, but, in captivity sand is too drying, and if accidentally ingested, can cause fatal impactions.

Thanks, that makes sense. The care sheet from chelonia.org recommended 50% playsand, 50% topsoil, but I had some doubts. I think the cypress is better. It's nice and soft and they can still dig around in it a bit. The only thing I don't like is that it sticks to them and they drag it into the water. You can see how dirty the water looks, and that's after only an hour, but they were circling the new enclosure quite a bit.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Try moving your water dish out away from the wall and more towards the center of the enclosure. It will get walked through less that way ;)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Great Job! I know the feeling of frantically trying to put together a good home for an unexpected tort guest.

All just opinion, and mine is worth little, but I like the repti-bark. I actually got my hands on a little of the much loved cypress and was a little underwhelmed. LOL. I was mostly asking myself... wow... how do they not keep poking their eyes with this nasty stuff. They seem to get along fine on either. Neither works as well as dirt and sand for me (with some nice bugs, compost and peet thrown in for spice).

Kristina's got alot more exp than me though :)

Brutha

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Try moving your water dish out away from the wall and more towards the center of the enclosure. It will get walked through less that way ;)

Thanks for the tip. I moved their food and water towards the center and that definitely helped. There were only a few pieces of substrate in the water at the end of the day today.

Balboa said:
All just opinion, and mine is worth little, but I like the repti-bark. I actually got my hands on a little of the much loved cypress and was a little underwhelmed. LOL. I was mostly asking myself... wow... how do they not keep poking their eyes with this nasty stuff. They seem to get along fine on either. Neither works as well as dirt and sand for me (with some nice bugs, compost and peet thrown in for spice).

After the smell dissipated I didn't mind the repti-bark as much. I haven't had it nearly long enough to experience the staining and mold, but I'm keeping an eye out for that. I was at Lowes yesterday and took a look at their cypress mulch. The stuff that's in their hide right now (from the pet shop) is much more soft and there are no big chunks. It was WAY cheaper for the stuff at Lowes, though. I'm still planning to go to the landscaping place at some point and see what they have available.

I'm not sure how they feel about the cypress. They've taken to pushing the contractor's paper and cypress aside and laying right on the linoleum against the edge. I have two theories: one is that they're just used to a plastic tote with no substrate, the other is they're just "burrowing" under the paper and mulch. They spend most of their time in the hide. Since the hide is so big, I'm considering adding some "single serving" hides (perhaps one of the plastic ones that will keep the humidity up) inside the main hide.

As far as your opinion being worth little, I disagree. There's always some reason that a person likes/dislikes something. The hard part is determining if what they like/dislike about it applies to my situation. It's been a tough learning experience because there is so much contradictory information out there, and few people have experience with this subspecies.

Tortuga17

5 Year Member
Thanks. We've gotten attached to them pretty quickly. My favorite part is watching them eat.

Hi. I'm an accidental owner as well. I was amazed at how fast I felt attached. They have so much more personality than I would have thought. So curious... always up to something..

Status
Not open for further replies.