Olive Oil for constipation?

Tortoisesarecool

Location (City and/or State)
Converse Texas United States
I was reading a tortoise discussion about constipation on reddit and somebody recommended feeding olive oil to get a tortoise to start pooping. It sounded like a strange solution to me so I wanted to ask, does anybody know anything about this?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was reading a tortoise discussion about constipation on reddit and somebody recommended feeding olive oil to get a tortoise to start pooping. It sounded like a strange solution to me so I wanted to ask, does anybody know anything about this?
Cucumber is very common and usually does the trick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed them the right foods, keep them well hydrated, and make them large enclosures to roam around in which helps keep the GI tract moving. Your tortoise shouldn't be constipated in the first place.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Prevention is better than cure. Proper hydration , temperatures, humidity and diet along with lots of space to roam around in the enclosure will likely prevent constipation, but in case it happens I believe in the cucumber cure, really not sure about the oil.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's hardly a strange idea - for people or tortoises. The idea is that most of the oil will pass thru and lubricate things on the way. Really, any oil safe for consumption has been used as a home remedy for constipation, either ingested or as an enema.

Tortoisesarecool

It's hardly a strange idea - for people or tortoises. The idea is that most of the oil will pass thru and lubricate things on the way. Really, any oil safe for consumption has been used as a home remedy for constipation, either ingested or as an enema.
Does it work though? I can understand the logic but is it safe to use? I assume it would be like using mineral oil.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does it work though? I can understand the logic but is it safe to use? I assume it would be like using mineral oil.
Mineral oil works well plus it is less costly than olive oil. If you know mineral oil is good for the problem, why try olive oil which is not normally used for this type of situation? Or are you just trying to verify a rumor you heard on FB or Instagram?

Tortoisesarecool

Mineral oil works well plus it is less costly than olive oil. If you know mineral oil is good for the problem, why try olive oil which is not normally used for this type of situation? Or are you just trying to verify a rumor you heard on FB or Instagram?
I heard about olive oil on an old reddit thread. They said their vet told them about it. It only had one upvote and nobody responded so I wanted to see if anybody knew about it or had tried it. Just trying to see if there was any truth in their statement :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Mineral oil is derived from petroleum and many people would not choose to ingest it or give it to their animals.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Mineral oil is derived from petroleum and many people would not choose to ingest it or give it to their animals.
Nonetheless, it's been used for years and years and there are no problems with it about which I have ever heard.
Do you know of any?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Nonetheless, it's been used for years and years and there are no problems with it about which I have ever heard.
Do you know of any?

Pneumonia, though its possible with any oil, I've seen some suggestion its more common/more severe with mineral oil vs the others but idk.

How long was plastic a 'miracle of science' before we learned that microplastics can penetrate the blood/brain barrier? Many choose to not use petroleum products in or on their bodies if possible.