Old lady and pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Figured since I was home today I should show you people some other animals besides Walter. So this is Gnumpy, she is old. I got her when I was little, she is technically my first ever lizard! As far as pets go, she is the most boring creature alive, she sits, licks her eye balls, and maybe (if she feels up to the activity) will eat a bug.

image-2954319198.png

These are the pigs... I caught them as eggs (they put up a fight) and hatched them. The green fat one is Prince, and the brown mildly less morbidly obese one is Bean. They like food. Lots of food. Their pretty spoiled and tamer then a hamster, if they see people they chase after them, if they catch you they sit on your feet or crawl on your pant legs. Their roughly the size of a tennis ball. I know catching things from the wild is bad, but I was so little that I didn't know better (well I probably did), and by this point they are to habituated to captivity for me to release them with a clear conscience.

image-2123249477.png

image-1478740230.png

View attachment 16121

Because I felt bad in later years about having them, I have gone back to the lake every year at the same time of year to do a on going study of how their species is doing, in the years since I took them the number of bull frogs has sky rocketed and the number of them has shrunk massively. Last year there wasn't a single toad, toadlet, or egg sack. It was crushing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are all absolutely GORGEOUS....love the big ole eyes....

Hey, in the last pic, what is the material you used on the interior walls (the black coating/material)?
:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Wonderful pets! Love the pics.

I see you're in BC and you said you caught the toads locally. What species are they?

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
ascott said:
They are all absolutely GORGEOUS....love the big ole eyes....

Hey, in the last pic, what is the material you used on the interior walls (the black coating/material)?
:D

The backing stuff is Tree Fern Tropical Background Panels, it's by ExoTerra. It's supposed to grow ferns and moss and tropical air plants, in reality it grows a strange blue green lichen mold substance. I use it to block their view of my fish tank, otherwise they'd beat themselves silly trying to get my fish.

StudentoftheReptile said:
Wonderful pets! Love the pics.

I see you're in BC and you said you caught the toads locally. What species are they?

They are Western Toads. I can say the Latin name but I can't spell it. When I first had them and they'd just turned into proper toads they were small enough to sit on my pinky finger nail, eventually they will be around 7 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.