Bearded Dragon and water dishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So my brother finally got the little guy yesterday. He was told by the lady to never keep a water dish with the hatchling. We also looked online and a few sites said the same thing.

Now this is just for hatchlings she said, as they could drown? She also said just spraying them is enough water. Do they absorb water through their skin too? I can't imagine the little water that hit their lips would be enough.

I also didn't think putting maybe 1/2" of water would allow the dragon to drown.

Anyways, is this correct?

latshki

5 Year Member
I keep a water dish in there at all times but very rarely see them drink from it
I do light mists weekly and one heavy heavy mist every month

it is not needed to give them a bath but some people will give hatchlings baths on wet paper towel

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
latshki said:
I keep a water dish in there at all times but very rarely see them drink from it
I do light mists weekly and one heavy heavy mist every month

it is not needed to give them a bath but some people will give hatchlings baths on wet paper towel

So these mists are enough to keep them well hydrated? They might get a few drops if they lick their lips, but that wouldn't seem like enough to me if they didn't somehow absorb through the skin too.

latshki

5 Year Member
for some reason it comes to mind that they absorb water through their vents also
but just mist them weekly or twice weekly and have a water dish available
when you mist, try to mist the water dish as mine will always just drink out of it when I do that instead of licking stuff

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I always used a shallow water dish, never misted(never occurred to me), and soaked about twice a week. Raised quite a few this way and never had a problem.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tom said:
I always used a shallow water dish, never misted(never occurred to me), and soaked about twice a week. Raised quite a few this way and never had a problem.

Thanks. For a 2.5month old hatchling would 1/2" of water be good then?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I removed the water dish, because i saw the same thing you did.
I also soak twice a week, and more since he is shedding his complete tail and head right now.

I mist 2 to 3 times a day..I have learned if he runs from the mist he doesnt want it. if he closes his eyes and look up, he is welcoming it

watch your guys body language

I am a very new owner..so i am not experienced enough to give info, but i just shared my thoughts

latshki

5 Year Member
I will admit that this is a hot topic within the bearded dragon community and I have seen quite a few threads be locked because of it so I just suggest doing what works for you

chadk

10 Year Member!
Most experienced owners do not offer water or mist. But instead do soakings. 10-20mins in warm water up to the shoulders 3-4 times a week.

My dragons would often drink long and deep during these soakings. And it also encourages them to poo and pee (change the water!). This helps keep their tank cleaner longer :)

I started to leave a small water dish in mine. In fact, there was a spell of time where my kids had managed to break the glass tank he was in and I put him in with the water dragons for a few weeks. They had a big swimming area. The beardie ended up using the swimming area more than the water dragons. He'd get in, swim around, splash like crazy, crawl in and out, and had a great time making a mess of the entire enclosure.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I haven't seen my boy drink since his first soak with me a year and a half ago. Instead of misting or offering water, I offer a humid hide and soak him anywhere from once a day to once a week (depending on my schedule; but no less than that). He does utilize the humid hide on occasion, and, all in all, this system has been working... Especially since he refuses to drink water and, as I, too, have read time and time again, beardies absorb water through their cloacas (vents). Besides, it's pretty neat when he decides to poop in the bath instead of on his basking rock where it can get nice and crispy before I find it... lol!

I've tried both the misting and the water dish things, but neither have worked, at least for my beardie.

Keep in mind, of course, that what works (or doesn't work) for me may or may not work for you. A water dish is a great idea for a beardie who shows even remote interest, and misting can be a great tool. On that note, I DO think every beardie should be soaked regularly, even if it's only once a week or so... There aren't any downsides to it other than losing that 5-20 minutes out of your day.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks for all the replies!

So it seems like soaking is the best way to go. I will just tell them to do it 3-4 times a week.

And to add to that, to mist him a few times a week as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.