Officially a tortoise rescue and Kane mat question

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Hi all,

It's been a while. I've been busy with many project. One of the most exciting projects is that I am now officially the north location of the rescue I have been volunteering with for 3 years. These are photos of our new habitats for our temporary residents while they stay with me until they get adopted. Our south rescue has space for 8-10 sulcatas or leopard tortoises, and a space for many small ones. I will take in small ones: box turtles, Russians, Red and yellow-foots, etc. I have 10 habitats. I currently have two juvenile sulcatas and one CUTE 35-year-old box turtle I am fostering. My three permanent residents are still here and thriving (one 8-yr-old sulcata, Otis; and two box turtles.)

As a part of our rescue, I answer a lot of questions about husbandry. I come here for answers when I haven't already learned them from here. LOL.

Kane mat question. If the mat heats to 37 degrees above the animal on it or the ambient temp, how does it not constantly keep rising and therefore scald the tortoise? Example: exothermic tort sits on mat, mat heats to 37 degrees above torts current temp, tort temp rises matching that, mat temp rises 37 degrees, tort temp rises, etc. Had mine on the floor 2 years, no problems. I'm just trying to understand better how it works so I can guide others.

Thank you
Brenda

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice job on the pens, Brenda.

As to the mat, I use Stansfield, not Kane, but they probably work the same. I set my "controller" to a certain setting and the controller tries to maintain that setting. It goes on and off to heat or stop heating. I never heard of the mat maintaining a certain temperature above the animal's temperature.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Nice job on the pens, Brenda.

As to the mat, I use Stansfield, not Kane, but they probably work the same. I set my "controller" to a certain setting and the controller tries to maintain that setting. It goes on and off to heat or stop heating. I never heard of the mat maintaining a certain temperature above the animal's temperature.
Thank you, Yvonne. Yeah, that is the big difference in the Kane mats and other mats. That is why it is suppose to be safe to use them under the tortoise. It's not supposed to scald them. I have Stanfield mats as well but hang these on the walls out of reach to heat the night box air.

Have you ever hung a heat source inside a dogloo? I'm researching that now too.
Brenda

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The mat heats to a constant 37f above the ambient temperature.

One of the reasons for not using substrate/hay/etc with heat mats is that heat can build up and it would be similar to your concern. Same reason heating pads, electric blankets often have warnings to not lay on them, and only use them on top of a person.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
The Kane mats are set to stop heating, like Brenda said above.

From the Kane manufacturer…
View attachment 335478

Exactly, so back to my question about that. If the mat heats to 37 degrees above the animal on it or the ambient temp, how does it not constantly keep rising and therefore scald the tortoise? Example: exothermic tort sits on mat, mat heats to 37 degrees above torts current temp, tort temp rises matching that, mat temp rises 37 degrees, tort temp rises, etc.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
The mat heats to a constant 37f above the ambient temperature.

One of the reasons for not using substrate/hay/etc with heat mats is that heat can build up and it would be similar to your concern. Same reason heating pads, electric blankets often have warnings to not lay on them, and only use them on top of a person.
Thank you for that part. I hadn't thought that through yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Brenda: The heat sensor is in the controller, not the mat. So it's the temperature of the air in the shed/night box/etc. that's being sensed, not the pad itself.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Exactly, so back to my question about that. If the mat heats to 37 degrees above the animal on it or the ambient temp, how does it not constantly keep rising and therefore scald the tortoise? Example: exothermic tort sits on mat, mat heats to 37 degrees above torts current temp, tort temp rises matching that, mat temp rises 37 degrees, tort temp rises, etc.

Uncontrolled, it heats as much as it will heat, about 37F above its surrounding. All a controller does is change the amount of temperature rise. So it might only be heating 20F or 30F above ambient. If the animal on top of it is big enough that its mass constitutes the "ambient" area, and it has its "own" temperature, it would heat the temperature hotter than that. But I don't think it would be quite the feedback loop you describe since the tortoise wouldn't be contributing to the ambient heat as a mammal would be. The parts of the tortoise in contact would be getting most/all of its heat from the mat. Depending on how fast the heat dissipates, there could be spots that become hot enough to burn but I think generally, its less likely with tortoises than with livestock.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Uncontrolled, it heats as much as it will heat, about 37F above its surrounding. All a controller does is change the amount of temperature rise. So it might only be heating 20F or 30F above ambient. If the animal on top of it is big enough that its mass constitutes the "ambient" area, and it has its "own" temperature, it would heat the temperature hotter than that. But I don't think it would be quite the feedback loop you describe since the tortoise wouldn't be contributing to the ambient heat as a mammal would be. The parts of the tortoise in contact would be getting most/all of its heat from the mat. Depending on how fast the heat dissipates, there could be spots that become hot enough to burn but I think generally, its less likely with tortoises than with livestock.
Excellent explanation. That makes sense. Thank you. I now feel I can explain that to others.