Odd yolk sack.

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
This little one was the first to hatch out from the clutch and has the weirdest, elongated yolk sack. It's been about a week and it still hasn't gone down. I've been keeping it on moist paper towel in the incubator. My humidity and temps are spot on so this is just a weird one. I've seen some people tie it off with floss, but I'm waiting to hear back from a biologist who works with turtles, but I'm posting here in the meantime. I'm not worried at all, the little dude is alert and responsive.

Attachments

• 20210829_083711.jpg
    20210829_083711.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210829_083722.jpg
    20210829_083722.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210829_162411.jpg
    20210829_162411.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Don't ask me why I know this but;
Apparently, "egged" creatures will draw the yoke sack back into them whilst fighting to get out of the egg....the "fight" is what causes certain muscles to contract drawing it in, then they use the nutrients for the next couple of weeks. Brilliant strategy

I THINK I learned this from the guys at the Nat zoo.....but there's a lot of trivia in there swimming around.....no telling where it came from in some cases.

Does this happen with turtles? I don't know but you've got a ton of experience based on your results...I've got faith in the little guy but he might need extra food/care.

good luck!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Don't ask me why I know this but;
Apparently, "egged" creatures will draw the yoke sack back into them whilst fighting to get out of the egg....the "fight" is what causes certain muscles to contract drawing it in, then they use the nutrients for the next couple of weeks. Brilliant strategy

I THINK I learned this from the guys at the Nat zoo.....but there's a lot of trivia in there swimming around.....no telling where it came from in some cases.

Does this happen with turtles? I don't know but you've got a ton of experience based on your results...I've got faith in the little guy but he might need extra food/care.

good luck!
Thanks. I'm not a novice keeper, but I'm no pro. I'm always open to learning and improving, which is why I joined the forum. That's spot on. They absorb the yolk sacks and use it to store nutrients, because food isn't always available to these little guys, or they overwinter in the nest.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would posit that it’s best to just let Mother Nature run her course. No need to tie it off. Id say you have this well in hand. Nice looking clutch.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Thank you and thanks for the advice. I'll only tie it off if I notice infection.
I would posit that it’s best to just let Mother Nature run her course. No need to tie it off. Id say you have this well in hand. Nice looking clutch.