Nurseries in AZ

mosseytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise AZ
To anyone who lives in the Phoenix metro area, does anyone know of a good plant nursery that doesn’t use any pesticides in their plants? I know immediately feeding a tortoise plants from places like Home Depot is a big no no, so I’m trying to find a place where I can get a plant that is safe to feed my leo without worrying about making her sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s a federal requirement that decorative plants are grown with systemic pesticides.

@cdmay works at a nursery and told us that some last for up to a year.

My local nursery just told me that plant pesticides for potted plants only work for 8 weeks. The 12 month ones are only for large trees with a trunk diameter of several inches. So he said…

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It’s a federal requirement that decorative plants are grown with systemic pesticides.

This is quite a statement, whats the source of this idea.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Easier to grow stuff. When I moved to Oregon I planted tortoise food in my pens and gardens, Rose of Sharon, cholla(?) cactus, and too many to mention flowering edible plants, dandelion. Granted I've lived here for almost 18 years, so a lot of time is involved, but you gotta start somewhere...you can also make a real garden raised bed of different lettuces...it's some work but this is the reward...
100_7323.JPG
Yes, I cultivate dandelions...here's Mary eating Rose of Sharon grown here
100_0170.JPG
I didn't grow all this food for Logan, I just like the picture...

Attachments

• 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    776.6 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is quite a statement, whats the source of this idea.
I've asked about this in multiple nurseries GA, AZ, FL and CA. Some of the employees seem to know nothing about it. There has always been someone there who does know about it, and many times those employees that didn't know about this learned about it that day.

I started beekeeping last year and one of my primary sources for beekeeping supplies is also a nursery and they proudly proclaim that they don't use any pesticides on any of their plants because of the bees. I was thrilled to find a place NOT using pesticides. I wanted to buy a bunch of indoor plants for a "bio-active" crested gecko project that I was working on with my daughter. The employee let me know with a smile that all of their plants were pesticide free. When I saw the commercial nursery pots and labels on their plants, I asked about the systemic pesticides used in the soil from the grower. Blank stare. He and his co-worker had no idea what I was talking about. I told them what I was told about this, and the owner appeared. She didn't know the answer, but said she'd call her supplier and ask. With some embarrassment, she called me the next day and informed that their decorative plants did indeed have the usual required systemic pesticides. She sounded both disturbed and perturbed by this new revelation. They were not adding any addition spray-on type pesticides like the big commercial farmers use on their crops, but she didn't know what effect these systemic pesticides would have on the pollen, nectar and bees.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've asked about this in multiple nurseries GA, AZ, FL and CA. Some of the employees seem to know nothing about it. There has always been someone there who does know about it, and many times those employees that didn't know about this learned about it that day.

I started beekeeping last year and one of my primary sources for beekeeping supplies is also a nursery and they proudly proclaim that they don't use any pesticides on any of their plants because of the bees. I was thrilled to find a place NOT using pesticides. I wanted to buy a bunch of indoor plants for a "bio-active" crested gecko project that I was working on with my daughter. The employee let me know with a smile that all of their plants were pesticide free. When I saw the commercial nursery pots and labels on their plants, I asked about the systemic pesticides used in the soil from the grower. Blank stare. He and his co-worker had no idea what I was talking about. I told them what I was told about this, and the owner appeared. She didn't know the answer, but said she'd call her supplier and ask. With some embarrassment, she called me the next day and informed that their decorative plants did indeed have the usual required systemic pesticides. She sounded both disturbed and perturbed by this new revelation. They were not adding any addition spray-on type pesticides like the big commercial farmers use on their crops, but she didn't know what effect these systemic pesticides would have on the pollen, nectar and bees.

I doubt that the use of systemic pesticides is required by federal regulation. But if it is accurate, I'd be interested in reading the language of the rule if anyone can point it out (presumably it'd be a USDA reg).

There could be a requirement that plants shipped interstate be free from pests and the way most commercial growers comply is with systemic pesticides. The grower might view them as required because the plants are required to be pest free and using systemic pesticides is the way they accomplish that.

You'd think someone who owns a nursery, or whoever she called, would know the difference and be up to date on it, but I've found that what I described above happens quite a bit. I'd liken it to the '4 inch rule,' and the way its misrepresented by many, many sites selling small turtles. Even confidently so by those that claim to be in compliance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I doubt that the use of systemic pesticides is required by federal regulation. But if it is accurate, I'd be interested in reading the language of the rule if anyone can point it out (presumably it'd be a USDA reg).

There could be a requirement that plants shipped interstate be free from pests and the way most commercial growers comply is with systemic pesticides. The grower might view them as required because the plants are required to be pest free and using systemic pesticides is the way they accomplish that.

You'd think someone who owns a nursery, or whoever she called, would know the difference and be up to date on it, but I've found that what I described above happens quite a bit. I'd liken it to the '4 inch rule,' and the way its misrepresented by many, many sites selling small turtles. Even confidently so by those that claim to be in compliance.
In this case at least, your speculation is as good as mine.