Not sure of the species

dreamerguy44

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello I recently adopted this tortoise and I’m not sure if it’s a sulcata or California dessert. I would really appreciate the help in identifying it’s species so I can properly care for it. Thanks

050D64A7-F122-481D-B808-B539BBDE188C.jpeg18147D81-EA49-42D5-A7E8-0DDF63B83295.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am generally wrong...but I believe it is Gopherus agassizzi...California desert tortoise...please read up here on their care as they are an endangered species. If you found it in the wild maybe you should put it back...Anyhow, please hang around and ask questions...you will need advice on them and we certainly are willing to help...

dreamerguy44

California
Thanks it’s was a captive bred hatchling, unfortunately I don’t have direct contact with the breeder so I’m unable to ask him the species. I have been caring for it as a Gopherus. Thanks for the help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd like to see more pictures, the head, the front legs. It's a little too round to be a desert tortoise, maybe Texas tort, but I'm leaning towards sulcata. Please wet the tortoise and take more pictures.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'd like to see more pictures, the head, the front legs. It's a little too round to be a desert tortoise, maybe Texas tort, but I'm leaning towards sulcata. Please wet the tortoise and take more pictures.
Well...my succession of wrong guesses in species identification continues...and i'm gonna stop replying to these questions as I don't want my advice on that question to lead to crappy care... ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well...my succession of wrong guesses in species identification continues...and i'm gonna stop replying to these questions as I don't want my advice on that question to lead to crappy care... ?
You may turn out to be right, Maggie. Let's wait for more pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its a dirty sulcata. Give it a long warm soak, and use a soft tooth brush to clean it off.

Since we are not sure, I would care for it like a sulcata. If you care for a DT (Or other temperate species...) like a sulcata, nothing bad will happen. If you care for a sulcata like DT, it will die.

This is a new baby. It really should have spent a week in a brooder box, but too late now. Soak it every day and keep it warm day and night. Room temp is too cold.

Here is the care info:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a difference a bath makes! Sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise after soak and light brush maybe now we can definitely say what species it is
When they hatch out of the ground, or when they are left outside a lot, that is what they can look like.

Get that baby set up in a warm indoor closed chamber with damp substrate and high humidity. Give it a warm water soak every day. All the care and feeding info is in the previous post I made.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Amazing. My first guess, as I have both, was Desert tort.. After the bath, Sulcata !

Terrapin 3

Surprise
IMG_20200413_124211.jpg
Yeah, I wasn't so sure if mine was a Sulcata or not because she's 8 and is still 7-inches in length. I compared her to a Sonoran Desert Tortoise and they look so similar. So I'm pretty positive that's what mine is. I do give her baths twice per month but she doesn't change.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
haha my guess that a dirty tortoise can be any tortoise if you know what i mean, i’m leaning with a sulcata as well it looks dirty

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I’m with Yvonne. Looks like a sulcata.