Not sure if Shelby is getting ready for Hybernating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi i have noticed Shelby is not eating as much food as normal and she is spending more time sleeping since i changed her bedding. I have changed half the table to Cocnut humus to help with the humidity she's eaten this morning and gone to the hot spot and Part buried herself. The Temp in the hot spot are 94 and cool end is 80. This is my first winter with her and she is only 2 how do i stop her from preparing to hybernate?I know to keep the temps up but they are 94 how high can i go before they're not safe. The open Hot spot area Humdity is 50 and the covered area is at 70 I read this is the healthy range for Hermanns as they do not like it any higher than this. Her eyes are bright and she is not blowing bubbles so i think she is not sick. I changed the table on Tuesday and have been working on ways to cut down on her trailing the coconut humus on to her food so last night i put some of her bark chunks on the Humus to help clean her feet, So i suppost she could be sulking as i know they do not like change.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Change never goes down well with tortoises :p Your temperature sound a bit hot to me. Try for a 90F hot spot, 80 to 84F warm end and 75F cool end. How long are your lights on for?

Danny

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
egyptiandan said:
Change never goes down well with tortoises :p Your temperature sound a bit hot to me. Try for a 90F hot spot, 80 to 84F warm end and 75F cool end. How long are your lights on for?

Danny

ok i will lower the temp. I keep the lights on for 14 hrs. I use to have them on for 12 when i first got her but i got told to have them on for 14 to replicate summer hours.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
14 is just fine :) The lower temperatures and some time to get used to the changes should help turn her around.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.