Not really sure (what species to get)

mashedpotatoes

Hey, I wasn't really sure to put this topic.
But I've wanted a tortoise for some time now, and I came to a close decision. So far I've decided on either a Red Foot or Sulcata.

I'm aware of the size they grow to and was planning on having my (whole) backyard as their enclosure. I'm a Hawaii resident so I know that they are both legal and I was also wondering "Which tortoise would do better in a Hawaiian temperature"?

If you have any other suggestions and really appreciate them, but I'm hoping to have a larger tortoise, but smaller tortoises would be great too. The one thing I'm looking for however, is how closely they bond to their owner.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Not really sure

We have Hawaiian members who have both species you've mentioned, and they both do very well in Hawaii, so it really is up to you and your preference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't "bond" to their owners. They will come up to anybody that feeds them. After a while some of them begin to think EVERYONE is going to feed them.

abclements

5 Year Member
Get a red foot! Actually it really depends on what you're looking for. Sulcatas are huge and are super cool as a single individual animal. Red foots are a lot smaller (more manageable if you need to take one to the vet or something). They do really well in groups, so a large backyard could potentially house 10ish animals, which is pretty cool in my opinion.

They both are out going, curious and make great tortoises

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I have both types of tortoises. If you want just one large one get a Sulcata but if you want a few or more get a red foot. I find the red foots to be more fun to watch in a group and they seem more personable.