Not new but need help

Lovechell69

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I bought sulcata African grass seeds. That’s well and good but I have no idea how to plant it for inside and in large pots. I have never planted regular grass seed. I live in Arkansas in lowland with saturated grounds and winter would destroy it. I’m stupid because I thought planting what Amara needs is what’s best for her anyway. No instructions came with the seeds for inside or outside. A year from now it won’t matter because we’re moving to a warmer and dryer climate. Has anyone planted the sulcata African grasses for inside? If so please I am asking how you did it. Thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Planted inside and in pots with potting soil, place the seeds about 1" below the surface of the soil and water them daily until they sprout.
After the plants sprout they will NEED sunshine to continue growing.
You will either have to set the pots outside for a few hours a day or get some rather expensive plant "grow lights".
They will not grow without sunlight.
Do you have a porch or a patio?
The larger the pots the better. But the larger, the heavier too. So itll be a toss up.
Ideally youd want large, rectangular planters. Since a permanent outdoors area won't work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard that some folks get several kitty litter pans for planting grass seed. You use a good mixture of potting soil, sprinkle a layer of seeds over the top, then add about a half inch more potting soil over the seeds. Sprinkle lightly so you don't disturb the seeds, and water when it starts to dry out. Once it's growing, you can place one pan in with the tortoise and when he has eaten all that down, you replace it with a different pan. Rotating the kitty litter pans in and out you will always have a bit of grass for the tortoise.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
Planted inside and in pots with potting soil, place the seeds about 1" below the surface of the soil and water them daily until they sprout.
After the plants sprout they will NEED sunshine to continue growing.
You will either have to set the pots outside for a few hours a day or get some rather expensive plant "grow lights".
They will not grow without sunlight.
Do you have a porch or a patio?
The larger the pots the better. But the larger, the heavier too. So itll be a toss up.
Ideally youd want large, rectangular planters. Since a permanent outdoors area won't work.
I have earth boxes long rectangular with it’s own drainage in case it’s over watered. The winter I might be moved already. If not I’m in luck. I already have the lighting from my greenhouse I had in Nebraska. Along with heat matts heat plant bulbs and nighttime red and blue lights to promote growth day and night. Hard to believe I thought I would never use it again. Very happy I kept it. Thank you for the much needed information. I think I’m good on the needed muscle strength. I’m outside clearing ten years of four acres let go. I use a axe daily for large trees sledgehammer when needed. Basically I work just about every muscle I have. I really do appreciate you answering my distress call lol. That’s the one thing I don’t know how to do but thanks to you I am now educated.