not letting a tortoise walk on the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member
I read from some resources that we should not let our tortoise walk on the floor indoors because they could get RI?How can that happen?
Help is appreciated!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: not leeting a tortoise walk on the floor

RI=Respiratory Infection.
Many people (me being one) do not believe that letting tortoises run loose in the house is a good idea for several reasons. One being the fact that in many homes in the nothern hemisphere there are cold drafts at floor level from around doors that may be poorly sealed. These drafts, unless severe, cannot often be readily detected. There are many other reasons not to let tortoises roam freely on the floor including other family pets, children, potential of being stepped on, eating things that they shouldn't and more.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida

I think that the reference meant that a cold substrate could cause a respiratory infection.
Cold & damp situations can cause many problems.
Hard flat surfaces can over time cause leg & foot problems, spay leg for example.
That's what I have heard & read, But I myself have no proof.
I would think that if there is 1 obvious problem with an animals care then there are most likely more.
I did see an Aldabra years ago that (supposedly) was raised on concrete & had a very poor diet (from the looks of it), That was a 100# belly dragger. A very sad sight!

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member

i did not mean letting it loose just letting a tortoise walk on the floor.why would a cold draft give them RI?I read that even if you leave them for like 5 seconds it can lead to bad health conditions..

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Sulcatatortoiseman said:
i did not mean letting it loose just letting a tortoise walk on the floor.why would a cold draft give them RI?I read that even if you leave them for like 5 seconds it can lead to bad health conditions..

I am sure if you set them on the floor...for 5 seconds...while you clean their enclosure or whatever, it isn't going to hurt if you are watching them. The problem, as said above, is that it is much cooler at the floor level. When left in a cool damp environment for long periods of time, or daily, can cause a RI. Also, they find things that we don't see on the floor and chew on them, thinking it is food. They can get tangled in electric cords, find dust bunnies and inhale them. Any number of things can happen. Why take the chance that yours will be the one who gets impacted from something they found in a corner on the floor.
Good luck
Patsy

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Hmm I let Nelson roam around on the floor quite often, for up to 15 minutes at a time. I watch him like a hawk so he can't chew on anything. He climbs at the sides of his enclosure MULTIPLE times a day, so I usually take him out and let him walk around for a bit. He loves it! He's fearless and walks around like he owns the place ;)
I just don't know how else to make sure he's getting plenty of exercise in the winter, since he can't go outside.
Would it help if I put a space heater on the floor to keep it a little warmer? I don't want to harm the little dude.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Unlike food the 5 second rule does not apply to torts.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

That would work as long as he doesn't get too close to it.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.