Not enough sunlight?

Mrs_Gal1981

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Hello, it's been 6 days since we brought our cherry head home, and he's living in an outdoor enclosure with beautiful and humid South Texas weather. He has a little house and a couple of hides in the large enclosure. I know there is an adjustment period, and as it's expected for a tortoise this new (to its environment) he is hiding in his house a lot. All day if we'd let him. So at first we were bringing him out at meal times and as soon as he'd finish he'd walk back inside his house. However, if we don't bring him out he won't come out on his own. The house has a roof/lid so I started opening it during the day to get him to soak up some sunlight. He does not seem to like the open space so he actually comes out and starts walking around. I see this as a positive thing, he's exercising, getting to know his new home, and getting some vitamin D. BUT, I do not want to stress him out. My husband said leaving the lid open during the day (at least a few hours) will basically take away his favorite / safe space. But I don't know how else to encourage him coming "out of his shell" -literally- on his own and getting the hours of daylight he needs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello, it's been 6 days since we brought our cherry head home, and he's living in an outdoor enclosure with beautiful and humid South Texas weather. He has a little house and a couple of hides in the large enclosure. I know there is an adjustment period, and as it's expected for a tortoise this new (to its environment) he is hiding in his house a lot. All day if we'd let him. So at first we were bringing him out at meal times and as soon as he'd finish he'd walk back inside his house. However, if we don't bring him out he won't come out on his own. The house has a roof/lid so I started opening it during the day to get him to soak some sunlight. He does not seem to like the open space so he actually comes out and walks around. I see this as a positive thing, he's exercising, getting to know his new home, and getting some vitamin D. BUT, I do not want to stress him out. My husband said leaving the lid open during the day (at least a few hours) will basically take away his favorite / safe space. But I don't know how else to encourage him coming "out of his shell" -literally- on his own and getting the hours of daylight he needs.

Let the tortoise decide on his or her own. When the tortoise is ready to do something they will do it. The best thing you can do is to leave them alone during this initial acclimating phase. Only handle them when necessary such as soakings and feedings. In time, they will start to become more used to your presence. But for now, especially since the tortoise is still trying to get used to their new surroundings, any additional unnecessary handling/peeking can easily scare them and keep them from being relaxed.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'd just let him adjust and do his thing. Redfoots don't need a lot of bright sun, in fact they avoid it.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I'd just let him adjust and do his thing. Redfoots don't need a lot of bright sun, in fact they avoid it.

I think that's true for most tortoises. To avoid the sun's blazing heat during the day and the many predators that do operate during that time. Traveling and scavenging for scraps of food during the night and early morning/before dawn.

Except the rainforest covers about 95% of the sun but I mean there's still a decent amount of sun and light penetrating through the leafy network throughout the day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It can take weeks or even months for any tortoise to adapt to a new place. They hate change, and are very observant. Even just moving a piece of decor or a food dish can upset some of them for several days. So if you think about it, his entire universe has just been radically changed.

I think you should leave him alone except for his soaks. He is probably still afraid of you. Just handle him for soaks or other care.

When you pick him up, lay him against your chest facing you. Having their feet dangle terrifies them. He will appreciate having his feet on you.

Redfoot don't like bright lights. They live in woods, under the shady tree canopy. That could be one reason he isn't coming out.

Mrs_Gal1981

San Antonio, TX
Thank you all! I will do that then. I was just mainly concerned for his need of light health-wise but good to know he does not need that much. We try not to handle him much. When he is out he does not seem shy, in fact he loves approaching my son's feet. The enclosure is under trees so it mostly gets dappled sun and some direct sun on the basking corner during a couple hours of the day. It is mostly shade. On days that aren't as humid as today we mist the whole enclosure, at first he retracted his head but today I noticed he seemed to enjoy the droplets.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge! This forum is helping me so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, it's been 6 days since we brought our cherry head home, and he's living in an outdoor enclosure with beautiful and humid South Texas weather. He has a little house and a couple of hides in the large enclosure. I know there is an adjustment period, and as it's expected for a tortoise this new (to its environment) he is hiding in his house a lot. All day if we'd let him. So at first we were bringing him out at meal times and as soon as he'd finish he'd walk back inside his house. However, if we don't bring him out he won't come out on his own. The house has a roof/lid so I started opening it during the day to get him to soak up some sunlight. He does not seem to like the open space so he actually comes out and starts walking around. I see this as a positive thing, he's exercising, getting to know his new home, and getting some vitamin D. BUT, I do not want to stress him out. My husband said leaving the lid open during the day (at least a few hours) will basically take away his favorite / safe space. But I don't know how else to encourage him coming "out of his shell" -literally- on his own and getting the hours of daylight he needs.
What size and age tortoise are we talking about?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Let the tortoise decide on his or her own. When the tortoise is ready to do something they will do it. The best thing you can do is to leave them alone during this initial acclimating phase. Only handle them when necessary such as soakings and feedings. In time, they will start to become more used to your presence. But for now, especially since the tortoise is still trying to get used to their new surroundings, any additional unnecessary handling/peeking can easily scare them and keep them from being relaxed.

Exactly. I used to say this a lot. I think once you soak & feed a hatchling.... hands off. No fussing, no picking up. And looking & disturbing and poking and fiddling. Let them settle in to their routine & then your routine. Too much picking up & moving & taking out & in.....creates stress. Soak,feed, let them get comfy!

Mrs_Gal1981

San Antonio, TX
Exactly. I used to say this a lot. I think once you soak & feed a hatchling.... hands off. No fussing, no picking up. And looking & disturbing and poking and fiddling. Let them settle in to their routine & then your routine. Too much picking up & moving & taking out & in.....creates stress. Soak,feed, let them get comfy!

Thanks for your input, not sure where I mentioned we poke or fiddle, as I mentioned above, we don't even pick him up either. All I was asking about was opening the lid of the house to allow some sunlight, and mentioned he comes out on his own when there's light. Also, it's not a hatchling, we don't know exact age but he's got some marbling and I read that comes at around 2 years old and goes away years later so he could be older. We're thinking 3-4; he's about 6"