Not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
My TTBT won't eat anything but protein and fruits... What can I do to make him eat vegetables??

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Unfortunately...this is the way of a ttbt...Mine are like this too...I have had Ninja 10 years and she has eaten greens 3 times...she flat refuses to eat it...I chop it up in a strawberry banana mash...and she picks it out....

M

Maggie Cummings

If she's eating live food and fruit I think that's good enough. Mine won't eat veggies either so I gave up trying. Now they are all healthy adults and not eating veggies hasn't hurt them at all...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix for my box turtles. Sweet potato (cooked), carrots, greens (dandelion, escarole etc.) veg. (green, yellow squash etc) Mazuri, reptomin, fruit (melon, strawberries) I change it up each week according to what I have. Put this in a food processor, chopped very small....NOT mush. Then I mix it in a bowel with some canned venison. Everyone eats this and I even give some to my Cherry Heads without the venison. I make enough to last a week, and then put different greens and veggies in the next week.
073-2.jpg

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
hmmmm mine dont get a choice and they dont seem to mind especially my big male wally

i just as terryo does make their food for a weeks time i use sissers and cut up dandelion greens, sweet potato, apple chunks grated carrots purina aquamax (extremly similer to Mazuri but much cheaper bought in bulk 50lb bags, its fish feed) then frozen mixed veggies (carrots corn beans peas) vitamin powder and calcium to preferance :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
wow I didnt know turtles could have Mazuri, I was thinking that was only for torts..nice to know...

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
i didnt know they were one and the same! i agree of the 4 differant books i have on the topic, hers is the better of the four, you can buy them on amazon for pretty cheap

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
terryo said:
That is a great site with great information. Do your self a favor and get her book. I think it's the best on Box Turtles.

http://www.boxturtlesite.info/

Agreed ! I have the book too and its really good , I like the charts that she puts in the book , it'd really easy to follow . Plus its one of the most recent publications for box turtles . Everything else is old !

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
joshtaylor123 said:
My TTBT won't eat anything but protein and fruits... What can I do to make him eat vegetables??

Mine were the same way. They would eat snails, worms, other live food, tomatoes, strawberries, cantaloupe, and that's about it.
Then I tried soaked Nasco turtle brittle, and also soaked trout chow, and to my amazement they went for it, slightly prefering the trout chow. Several had to be trained onto it over several weeks, but most of them started on their own. Once you get them onto a soaked food, you can easily expand it by adding finely chopped stuff to it.

Steve

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
turtlemann2 said:
you mean aquamax 600(trout chow) LOL darn you corprete name changers!

Probably. It's in a bulk bin at the local JS West feed store, and is simply labeled "trout chow". They also have "koi chow", and I used to use it back when I thought EBT color was all about carotinoids in the diet.

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
now you believe its the genetic potential inline with uva/uvb exposure? cant remember exactly the old post eludes me

Purina recently (1yr or 2) changed there packaging from trout chow to.,... wait for it..... wait for itttt..... AQUAMAXXXXXX lol the number 600 is there largest granule i belive where as 100 is smalllll. just in case you have to buy it in bag form in the future :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
turtlemann2 said:
now you believe its the genetic potential inline with uva/uvb exposure? cant remember exactly the old post eludes me

Purina recently (1yr or 2) changed there packaging from trout chow to.,... wait for it..... wait for itttt..... AQUAMAXXXXXX lol the number 600 is there largest granule i belive where as 100 is smalllll. just in case you have to buy it in bag form in the future :)

That's good to know about aquamax. When I run out. . .

http://herpetology.com/belzer2/color.htm
excerpt:
De Vosjoli (1992) states that loss of color in captive box turtles (T.c.c.) "...can be partially due to a diet lacking in plant pigments" and that supplementing the diet with plant pigments helps maintain color. It is unclear if he means skin or shell color. The manufacturer of Kaytee Land Turtle Fortified Daily Food®, however, specifically claims that their food contains "...special plant ingredients which provide the nutrients necessary for excellent shell color..." (retrieved 15 July 2009 from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068K2AE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20). Statements like those suggested to us that the remarkable color change that we see after our juveniles are released might be due to their change to a wild diet. But understanding of carapace pigmentation physiology is rudimentary as noted by Rowe et al. (2006a) who state: "While we cannot rule out dietary influences on color variation, we know of no instances where variation in dietary composition has been shown to cause variation in pigmentation of reptiles". Our findings below agree; they do not support a dietary hypothesis. Rather, they suggest that sunlight has direct and localized effects on cells (chromatophores? paracrine cells?), or on pigment precursors, that require many months before generating the more distinct yellows and browns, as well as intensification of the black markings, that eventually appear in the carapaces of our released juveniles. Although our indoor headstarting light was provided by "full spectrum" (10% UVB [310 nm]; 50% UVA [360 nm]) LumichromeXX bulbs (Belzer and Seibert 2007b), it evidently failed to replicate sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.