not eating/walking well

rick11659

14860_614724838597599_278369289_n.jpghad tortoise a week and half from ex partner and daughter as they moving,its a leopard tortoise now got nice 3 foot vivarium for him with heat bulbs the lot (as he not used to heat) but since having him he asnt eaten n aving trouble with back leg when he stands which he cant walk properly, man in petshop who as a tortoise gave me lot of advice which im following and hopefully the tortoise will pick up a bit but if anyone as any advice it would be very welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a humid hide, warm and humid to 80% and 80 degrees. A better substrate like coconut coir would help too. He also needs a lot bigger enclosure. I am rehabbing a leopard that can't walk good either becuase she didn't have enough room to do so, like yours. I am doing hydro therapy, hold her in warm water, of letting her float in it so she has to move her legs and build up her strength. It may benefit yours too, but also a must is a larger enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rick:

Is there any chance you can get this tortoise outside for some real sunshine? Even an hour or so a week would be beneficial.

Otherwise, what kind of UVB are you providing? The tortoise is probably suffering from weak bones (MBD) due to not having any sunshine/UVB, and being kept in a small tank with not enough exercise.

rick11659

Yeah I can get it out on sun but the English weather is not very good at the minute.. It's 10.0 is the iv light.. I know I've got temperatures spot on.. It's now got a big tank, good heat source..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When did you purchase the uva/uvb bulb? I would get rid of that wood substrate...the tortoise needs dirt/earth not wood chunks...

rick11659

I've only had tortoise bout week nd a half and wen out and got tank etc couple ddays after.. I've now got it as chemical free top soil at bottom and small layer off clippings n half sand soil mix