Not a tortoise owner yet but i really want one

FatThor420

Location (City and/or State)
Morton
So i live outside peoria illinois, i wanna move to florida within a couple of years and i really want tortoises. I know the midwestern winters arent friendly to Sulcata's. I want to get a tortoise soon but i wanna make sure i can give it the life it needs in illinois before i can give it the life it deserves in florida. Any tips, or anyone willing to take me under their wing and teach me? I know everyone is gonna have different opinions hence why im hoping to find someone who can talk to me one on one and just help me out. I learn better that whlay then just reading on google. Any advice is appreicated. Also space isnt a problem cause i have a 2 bedroom.duplex and im only uaing one bedroom so i planned on dedicated one bedroom to my tortoise.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So i live outside peoria illinois, i wanna move to florida within a couple of years and i really want tortoises. I know the midwestern winters arent friendly to Sulcata's. I want to get a tortoise soon but i wanna make sure i can give it the life it needs in illinois before i can give it the life it deserves in florida. Any tips, or anyone willing to take me under their wing and teach me? I know everyone is gonna have different opinions hence why im hoping to find someone who can talk to me one on one and just help me out. I learn better that whlay then just reading on google. Any advice is appreicated. Also space isnt a problem cause i have a 2 bedroom.duplex and im only uaing one bedroom so i planned on dedicated one bedroom to my tortoise.
Welcome to the forum. One of your best bets is to read thru some of the care sheets on the various species. A lot depends on how big the tort is when it's full grown & what you're comfortable with taking care of. I've been in love with redfoots since I first saw them. Being small in stature, I wouldn't be able to move a bigger tort like a sulcata once they hit 25 lbs. Yard size is also a factor. And as you note, climate zone.

But enjoy the search. There is a wealth of information on this forum & a lot of tort & even turtle lovers as well.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Agreed with Jan, just lurk on these forums and you'll be able to form your own opinions soon enough.

The good news is any species will be happy in Florida. You could reasonably keep a medium-sized tort like a leopard or red foot indoors for a few years, but you will be better off starting with a temperate species just in case you don't move. Then if you do make it to FL, you can also buy the sulcata of your dreams and have some experience under your belt.

If you like bigger torts, marginated don't get huge but they are larger than the other popular temperate tortoises like Russians. If you want something like a red foot but is able to live outdoors in your area, a box turtle is a great alternative.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

FatThor420

Morton
Agreed with Jan, just lurk on these forums and you'll be able to form your own opinions soon enough.

The good news is any species will be happy in Florida. You could reasonably keep a medium-sized tort like a leopard or red foot indoors for a few years, but you will be better off starting with a temperate species just in case you don't move. Then if you do make it to FL, you can also buy the sulcata of your dreams and have some experience under your belt.

If you like bigger torts, marginated don't get huge but they are larger than the other popular temperate tortoises like Russians. If you want something like a red foot but is able to live outdoors in your area, a box turtle is a great alternative.

Welcome to the forum!
See i want a big tort, how fast do sulcatas grow, cause i read online it takes about 25 years for full size. And i wanna get one now and keep him inside till i can move in about a year or two. So if i was to get a well started sulcata, roughly how big do you think it would be in 2 or 3 years. And does that even sound like a plausible idea? Im new to all this and i just eanna make sure i do the tort justice. Also should i buy online or are there breeders near illinois? Or will breeders mail them?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
See i want a big tort, how fast do sulcatas grow, cause i read online it takes about 25 years for full size. And i wanna get one now and keep him inside till i can move in about a year or two. So if i was to get a well started sulcata, roughly how big do you think it would be in 2 or 3 years. And does that even sound like a plausible idea? Im new to all this and i just eanna make sure i do the tort justice. Also should i buy online or are there breeders near illinois? Or will breeders mail them?
Here’s a thread on a properly cared for 2 year old Sulcata. I think you’ll be surprised, just like I was! My suggestion is, if you want a large species of tortoise, to not get it until you are established in the home that has the required space.

Also, here’s the care sheet for Sulcata’s that is definitely worth a thorough read.

There is a lot of wrong information on the internet. I would stick to this forum for your research.

FatThor420

Morton
Here’s a thread on a properly cared for 2 year old Sulcata. I think you’ll be surprised, just like I was! My suggestion is, if you want a large species of tortoise, to not get it until you are established in the home that has the required space.

Also, here’s the care sheet for Sulcata’s that is definitely worth a thorough read.

There is a lot of wrong information on the internet. I would stick to this forum for your research.
I mean i have a regular sized bedroom i was gonna dedicated to it, i fifured that was enough space at least while it was growing up.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I wouldn't risk it myself, but only you can know if you're capable and willing to give it the best care. Compose your thoughts on a notepad and think about all of the "what ifs" like if you didn't move, or if your baby grows too fast, or if they get sick. Invest in good equipment and start on the home first. As you build your setup, you can post pictures in the Enclosures section to get input from experts.

Also should i buy online or are there breeders near illinois? Or will breeders mail them?

We have a section for that too! Since you mention "well started," I'm confident you know about buying from a good breeder.

I've always bought hatchlings online and had my babies mailed to me. At this time you will probably want to take more than one day off of work to receive it. The COVID-related mess with airlines and the mail services has caused a lot of people to receive their live animals a day or so late.

They are also one of the few species that you can commonly find at reptile shows, but be cautious of wholesalers.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Search for the thread .. Things you wish you knew before getting a tortoise, on the forum. It might help you. It is replys from a bunch of members. Good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, any tortoise can be raised in Illinois if you have the space and money. It's more expensive and harder for us in the cold North but very doable.
Second, if you don't have outdoor space now for a larger sulcata then I would wait or consider a smaller species for now, just incase, something happens in the 1 or 2 years that you are not able to actually make that move.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A sulcata dosen't need to stay outside until they are 2 yrs old or 10lbs. It is safer for them from big birds and critters to stay indoors and let them outside under close supervision. If you know your moving to Florida in a few yrs. It is doable, but we have many members with sullies in cold climates. The cost of care for them is more expensive in cold areas. You say you will dedicate a room to your tort. When reading the caresheets, you will notice 85% humidity is a must or you will have a problem with the carapace ( top shell) pyramiding. In a large area like a bedroom you will have a problem trying to keep 85% humidity. It would be better to start your tort in a large enclosure that you can manage heat and humidity. Also the outside grass cannot have fertilizer or pesticides on it. If you know for sure your moving to FL it could be done. But remember in Florida you would need a large yard that is fenced in securely.
I have a sulcata in Florida so any questions just ask.

FatThor420

Morton
A sulcata dosen't need to stay outside until they are 2 yrs old or 10lbs. It is safer for them from big birds and critters to stay indoors and let them outside under close supervision. If you know your moving to Florida in a few yrs. It is doable, but we have many members with sullies in cold climates. The cost of care for them is more expensive in cold areas. You say you will dedicate a room to your tort. When reading the caresheets, you will notice 85% humidity is a must or you will have a problem with the carapace ( top shell) pyramiding. In a large area like a bedroom you will have a problem trying to keep 85% humidity. It would be better to start your tort in a large enclosure that you can manage heat and humidity. Also the outside grass cannot have fertilizer or pesticides on it. If you know for sure your moving to FL it could be done. But remember in Florida you would need a large yard that is fenced in securely.
I have a sulcata in Florida so any questions just ask.
what i need is someone who i can call and actually talk too with experience. i just got a decent paying job which is how i plan on caring for the tort and moving to florida. i want to get the tort by the beginning of the year. so i need to find a breeder to buy from (people say breeders are better then pet stores) and do a bunch of research to figure out what ill need to get the tort started, how fast it will grow and wwhat ill need at each stage of its life. winter shouldnt be a problem as im not a fan of the cold either so the house will stay decently warm. i just need someone i can rely on to ask questions when i have em.