Northern California home available

leeannabomgardner

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle ca
I’d love to add a tortoise to our home of three acres in Newcastle Ca. I have a 10x10 enclosed and covered yard ready for an inhabitant. I’ve planted tortoise safe plants and cactus in the space. I have a 25 inch round “pond” for soaking and a partially dug den as needed. Research has lead me here, believing a dessert tortoise or similar of size and behavior would be agreeable. Please give us a thought.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's illegal to possess a desert tortoise in California without a special permit. And neither the tortoise or the permit can be transferred to a different person without approval from the Department of Fish and Wildlife. If you want to adopt a desert tortoise, you need to fill out the application form at this link: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Reptiles/Desert-Tortoise

And you will need significantly more than a 10 foot by 10 foot enclosure. I'm not in California and I don't see the specific requirements listed, but I do know that Utah requires an enclosure with a minimum of at least 150 square feet if you want to qualify to adopt a desert tortoise here.

A smaller species like Greek, Russian, or Hermann's, would be a much better fit for that space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're willing to travel to SoCal to pick up a tortoise, research the chapters of California Turtle and Tortoise Club and contact them to adopt a desert tortoise. They will also assist you in filling out the paperwork to send to the Department of Fish and Wildlife showing that you've legally adopted the tortoise.

Bear in mind that you are only the caretaker. The tortoise belongs to the State of California and can't be moved out of state or sold.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I can attest the SoCal CTTC has a lot of tortoises needing homes. 10x10 is a great size for a Russian, and a lot of them need homes too. Very easy to care for and a female Russian can get a good size, closer to a smaller DT. Lots of Russians need rescuing because people buy them cheap at Petsmart

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
If 10x10 is all there is I would highly recommend a small tortoise, a Desert Tortoise needs to "Walk." Having your home and heart open to a tortoise is fantastic, just need to find one that is a good fit for what you will be able to provide.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
My space is 10 x 12 and is well more than a Russian needs. You would make a Russian very very happy with that kind of space, and as I said there are TONS of them needing homes

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
My space is 10 x 12 and is well more than a Russian needs. You would make a Russian very very happy with that kind of space, and as I said there are TONS of them needing homes
Perfect fit! For a 10x10 something to look at.