Northeast USA-people, are they up yet?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I keep checking my turtle enclosure, but they are still under the dirt. We are supposed to get snow/ice tonight into tomorrow. Anyone in the Northeast usa have turtles up yet?

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
I keep checking my turtle enclosure, but they are still under the dirt. We are supposed to get snow/ice tonight into tomorrow. Anyone in the Northeast usa have turtles up yet?
I’m not in the northeast but use to be Buffalo NY. I know your tired of that snow. But her in the panhandle the turtles are up and hungry.
Although my baby will only eat pellets that I started him on. And a bite fruit once in a while but otherwise he runs away from worms , meal worms super and earth. I tried again this morning outside with earthworm and he won’t have nothing to do with it. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat protein? And yes I’ve read up on it:)

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I’m not in the northeast but use to be Buffalo NY. I know your tired of that snow. But her in the panhandle the turtles are up and hungry.
Although my baby will only eat pellets that I started him on. And a bite fruit once in a while but otherwise he runs away from worms , meal worms super and earth. I tried again this morning outside with earthworm and he won’t have nothing to do with it. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat protein? And yes I’ve read up on it:)

Read thru this article. Babies are discussed at the bottom, but there are ways to mix the foods so that they eat them in the top of the article. http://www.boxturtlefacts.org/Feeding_North_American_Box_Turtles.pdf

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd guess another 3 weeks , we're still getting nights in the 20's ..... the soil temperature is only in the mid 30's ...... I don't believe I've ever seen them prior to the ground hitting 50-55 degrees ........ mine hibernate in a full sun spot , when the nights don't drop below 40 i'll remove some of the leaves and grass during the day so the ground around them warms a faster ......

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
our days have been 5-60ish, and our nights probably 35-45. So i thought maybe soon. But with the snow coming tonight i hope they stay under.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
No sign of my box turtles in Ohio. Last year they came up by the 2nd week of April, this year I don’t think I will see them until May.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It's a cold spring this year, Louisiana box turtles already have mulberry stained beaks but we won't see them for a few weeks yet in this area.