North East America question.

JHamer

Hey TF!

So I live in NE USA where the winter can get down to -10 degrees, which is very cold for a sulcata. I was wondering what a decent size for an adult sulcata's winter time enclosure would be, as for at least 2 months a year it will be too cold for one to just walk around outside. Toms nighttime 4x8 box I think is just meant for sleeping and isn't a long term size solution, so what's an adequate footprint for winter month containment?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For an adult, the minimum I have done for 2 leopards and a Russian which is all smaller then an adult sulcata is a 8x20 heated shed. A sulcata will go,out into the snow though, many have pics of this, but they still do need a large enough space for when they can't or won't go out.

JHamer

I never imagined they would try the snow. Did you keep each of those animals in their own shed or seperate sheds? I was thinking 8x16 for the ease of it (4 sheets of ply/base) but if it needs to be bigger thats fine. Would square or rectangle be more ideal? Is there any preference per the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine share one shed. Your size sounds good. I would do rectangle. If you don't get a lot of snow or can remove the snow from the outside tort area if it gets deep, you may be able to do smaller. Insulate well to cut down on the electric bill for heating. I use pig blankets and radiant reptile heat panel for heat inside their hide and a portable electric radiator heater for the rest of the shed. I also insulate all, floor, ceiling, walls.

JHamer

Sorry for what may be a silly question but what's a pig blanket?

JHamer

Okay, so it's just a filament heating pad designed for industrial use. So, one of those on a thermostat and a portable oil heater in an 8x16 insulated structure will lead to a happy healthy 150:year old tortoise?