North Chicago, Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have recently moved to the North Chicago area close to Gurnee. Are there any privately owned pet stores that carry reptiles and supplies? If you have any suggestions I would love to check them out. Im about 30 min south of the Wisconsin border. I have found plenty of Petco's and Petsmart's around but I enjoy going to local privately owned stores a lot more. Thank you for your time hope to hear from you soon.

Troy

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hi Troy,
Welcome to the forums. There is a reptile store in Waukesha, WI. probable about an hour from you . They sell only captive bred reptiles. It isn't very big, but what they have changes often, they are pretty knmowledgeable about what they have and they seem to take pretty good care of their animals there.

Jon

for got to put thier name. they are called Captive Bred Specialties

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
thanks a lot man, do you happen to know if they carry torts? if i could drive to pick up my first i would love to rather than order one off line. I'm going to google and see if they have a website.

Troy

can't seem to find a website. but if i venture up that direction i will stop in.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
I don't have a FB. I also found that link. I'm currently looking into a cherry head red foot. But I don't have a tort yet, and I'm not set up. I have A 40g breeder I intend on setting up for the tort I do appreciate the offer. How long have you been breeding?

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
how long does it take a tortoise to reach sexual maturity?

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I am not really sure, but I believe it is in the 5-10 year range. This does vary by tortoise species though.

Jon

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
how hard are you finding it to sell (find a good home) for your hatchlings Jon?

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
It is difficult sometime to sell them all myself that is why I end up selling some wholesale. I do only sell to two pet stores right now though and they are both reptile only stores.

Jon

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
Hey AIRR04, I'm just a stone throw away from you. I live just across the WI/IL border in Kenosha, WI. Here in town there's a small mom and pop pet store called Jim's Aquarium. The folks at Jim's are good, kind people and they've been in business for a long time (at least 20 years). They specialize in tropical fish, but also work with reptiles, amphibians, a few small mammals, and the occasional invertebrate. If you're ever in town they're definitely worth checking out.

One place to avoid at all costs is Petland (especially the one in Racine, WI). They have some very questionable business practices, and I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The Racine location is notorious for not providing proper care for their animals. One stroll through their store will just about make you sick.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you another one of those Chicago wannabe's:D., because Chicago doesn't go that far north, but the state of Illinois does. So you must be in Northern Illinois:p
I know, I know, everyone wants to be from Chicago:D, great places, friendly people, lousy sports:(
Sorry, just picking, don't mean anything by it. Just makes me laugh :Dwhen people say they are from Chicago, and when asked "where in Chicago", they are really from a suburb in Illinois :p Some people even forget that Chicago is a city in Illinois and not the state. Just funny to me. :D:D:D:D

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
haha no i in no way want to be from "Chicago" I'm a Texas boy and the military placed me here. if you look at a map there is such a place as north chicago. just saying...

Leroy said:
Hey AIRR04, I'm just a stone throw away from you. I live just across the WI/IL border in Kenosha, WI. Here in town there's a small mom and pop pet store called Jim's Aquarium. The folks at Jim's are good, kind people and they've been in business for a long time (at least 20 years). They specialize in tropical fish, but also work with reptiles, amphibians, a few small mammals, and the occasional invertebrate. If you're ever in town they're definitely worth checking out.

One place to avoid at all costs is Petland (especially the one in Racine, WI). They have some very questionable business practices, and I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The Racine location is notorious for not providing proper care for their animals. One stroll through their store will just about make you sick.

i was up in kenosha on saturday, i went to the recplex for a birthday party. i will deff look them up thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.