Normal urine color

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
I saw my lil guy ( Sulcata 1 year)urinate earlier on the patio but as I was busy I didn’t clean it right away. Now as it’s drying I noticed it looks reddish. He is currently eating dandelions mixed with his hay and grass for last few days. I’m hoping that’s what it is?

Attachments

• F1DC5648-FC24-428D-A344-5FF3F82971CA.jpeg
    F1DC5648-FC24-428D-A344-5FF3F82971CA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It could Be Due to the Dandelion.
Props for being able to have our tortoise eat grass and Hay! Hope mines eats it soon

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
It could Be Due to the Dandelion.
Props for being able to have our tortoise eat grass and Hay! Hope mines eats it soon
When I first got him he wouldn’t touch it until I learned the trick; Soak the grass and hay in warm water for about 25 minutes. Mince it up really tiny along with a green ( dandelion, kale, romaine, etc) he likes. I started with a 50/50 mix. Mix everything together and feed in a pile. There’s no way he can pick anything out. Gradually reduce amount of greens to where it’s mostly grass and hay. I also soak the Mazuri and crumble and mix all together a couple times a week. They eat it!

Attachments

• FE7DEB96-0055-4BC9-9646-F9C14825A997.jpeg
    FE7DEB96-0055-4BC9-9646-F9C14825A997.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6

zovick

10 Year Member!
I saw my lil guy ( Sulcata 1 year)urinate earlier on the patio but as I was busy I didn’t clean it right away. Now as it’s drying I noticed it looks reddish. He is currently eating dandelions mixed with his hay and grass for last few days. I’m hoping that’s what it is?
It looks fine to me. It is just concentrated urine so it looks a bit dark. Are you soaking the tortoise daily to keep it well hydrated? If not, that daily soaking might help lighten the color of the urine.

Just FYI, members of the Marines (and maybe other services as well) used to be given a color chart to keep with them so that they could tell by the color of their urine whether they were becoming dehydrated. This told them when they needed to drink more water. The darker the color, the more water is needed to rehydrate.

Last edited:

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
It looks fine to me. It is just concentrated urine so it looks a bit dark. Are you soaking the tortoise daily to keep it well hydrated? If not, that daily soaking might help lighten the color of the urine.

Just FYI, members of the Marines (and maybe other services as well) used to be given a color chart to keep with them so that they could tell by the color of their urine whether they were becoming dehydrated. This told them when they needed to drink more water. The darker the color, the more water is needed to rehydrate.
Yes, he gets daily soaks! Thank you!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
When I first got him he wouldn’t touch it until I learned the trick; Soak the grass and hay in warm water for about 25 minutes. Mince it up really tiny along with a green ( dandelion, kale, romaine, etc) he likes. I started with a 50/50 mix. Mix everything together and feed in a pile. There’s no way he can pick anything out. Gradually reduce amount of greens to where it’s mostly grass and hay. I also soak the Mazuri and crumble and mix all together a couple times a week. They eat it!
Gonna give that a try! I lost my scissors so for a few weeks I couldn’t cut the food as small.