Normal underside?

Buddytheboxie

So for as long as I can remember Buddy's underside has looked like this. Is this normal for a box turtle?? I am referring to the spot where his shell closes and the sides. If not what can I do to help him? He is already 23 years old. Is it something that happened when he was a baby before I got him??? Any advice I will take.
He does move around normally and super active when on the ground roaming around. He even closes his shell all the way when he is mad at me...

IMG_0076.JPG

yillt

So for as long as I can remember Buddy's underside has looked like this. Is this normal for a box turtle?? I am referring to the spot where his shell closes and the sides. If not what can I do to help him? He is already 23 years old. Is it something that happened when he was a baby before I got him??? Any advice I will take.
He does move around normally and super active when on the ground roaming around. He even closes his shell all the way when he is mad at me...
That doesn't look normal to me although I don't know much about box turtles. When did you get him? What is his set up like? Substrate? Heat? Etc..

Buddytheboxie

That doesn't look normal to me although I don't know much about box turtles. When did you get him? What is his set up like? Substrate? Heat? Etc..
I got him about 10years ago when he was about 14 years old. (I don't have an exact hatch date so I guess on his age) his set up before I got him was a 20-30 gallon tank with a green carpet, one light, and the owners fed him Mostly lettuce. I kept him in that same habitat for about 5-6 years and fed him mostly lettuce while occasionally adding other foods and a lot of crickets, i did take him outside almost everyday in the summer for all those years and let him dig in the grass and dirt and such. Once I got a bit older (I was 13 when I got him) I noticed everything I was doing was wrong. I got him the correct lightbulb, got him coco soil, upgraded his tank to a 55 gallon (I know it is still small but it is the biggest I could house in my room), I soak him everyday or every other day, I am fixing his diet to all types of greens and super worms even though he is stubborn and doesn't eat anything. His temps are about 80-90 on the warm side and 75-80 on the cool side. I am having trouble with humidity since his tanks dries out way to fast. I do have foil on the top of his tank.

I think I answered all the questions... sorry for the long reply I felt his background was necessary.

Buddytheboxie

Looks like normal old wear and tear in an older box turtle to me. Google 3 toed plastron and you should see more images like buddy.
Okay I was just wondering. I figured he was just old but I wanted to double check lol my poor baby has been through hell and back with me! He is my partner in crime and everyone I know knows him haha
My baby is getting old and it is showing haha

I did google it and it showed some where the bottom look so nice and connected and I got worried because I never remembered his looking so nice lol

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Okay I was just wondering. I figured he was just old but I wanted to double check lol my poor baby has been through hell and back with me! He is my partner in crime and everyone I know knows him haha
My baby is getting old and it is showing haha

I did google it and it showed some where the bottom look so nice and connected and I got worried because I never remembered his looking so nice lol

It could be from old shell rot or anything, nothing you can do but continue with the great care you've been giving him. Him and his enclosure both have improved so much since you've come to the forum. Keep up the love and care for buddy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It just looks a little rough. You can apply some coconut oil to those areas once he's dry, allow it to soak in, then wipe it all off. It would be like you adding hand cream to your dry skin.

Buddytheboxie

It could be from old shell rot or anything, nothing you can do but continue with the great care you've been giving him. Him and his enclosure both have improved so much since you've come to the forum. Keep up the love and care for buddy.
Thank you so much! That means so much! I love this little guy and tear up every time I think he is sick and he comes to me almost saying that he is fine and for me to suck it up and feed him! Lol

Buddytheboxie

It just looks a little rough. You can apply some coconut oil to those areas once he's dry, allow it to soak in, then wipe it all off. It would be like you adding hand cream to your dry skin.
I shall do that! Coco oil it is!

Buddytheboxie

• Nice, he looks like a good healthy boxie, is he active much and if you ever took food and moved it around in the cage with tongs does he really run for it? Mines 47, and he still runs anything down View attachment 200105
    He doesn't run for greens but god forbid I so much as grab the container holding the superworms! He is terrifying! Haha he comes and attacks me and my tweezers! It is so funny. And when I take him outside I let him walk and walk and dig to his hearts content. Now he has been a little lazy and sleeping more, but i think it is just the weather. If I soak him he will eat all of his food so he is okay :)
    But your little one is 47! He is gorgeous! I hope Buddy will stay with me that long if not longer!