No wonder the Voles went poof!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
20231014_151101.jpg
Kerry left to go over to her sons new apt to help him get things setup...a mom-thing, so I was checking out her reports of multiple snakes of different types/ sizes in the garage/laundry room.
Didn't take long....I think it's a juvy Eastern Rat but if I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know. I'm allergic to antivenin so its one of those things where being wrong is bad, very bad. I think the mom must have had young.....bonus! Last night her son and his girlfriend were moving things in the garage in prep for todays move and she uncovered one and Kerry said that she wasn't put off at all. Brownie points awarded.

Odd though
She said the one under the dryer in Aug was several feet but was striped. She identified it as a King snake right away when we looked at pics...., right around the time we began seeing a steep & sudden drop in the vole population. She had had them throughout the yard, LOTS of tunnels-with-port-holes....crisscrossing the yard everywhere, ever since she moved in 3 yrs ago. Now, they are gone, poof, vamoose. It may be a case when the King has come in, and with many Eastern Rat babies, he's hanging around? Either way, we're good as long as they stay outside where their food is.

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 362417
Kerry left to go over to her sons new apt to help him get things setup...a mom-thing, so I was checking out her reports of multiple snakes of different types/ sizes in the garage/laundry room.
Didn't take long....I think it's a juvy Eastern Rat but if I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know. I'm allergic to antivenin so its one of those things where being wrong is bad, very bad. I think the mom must have had young.....bonus! Last night her son and his girlfriend were moving things in the garage in prep for todays move and she uncovered one and Kerry said that she wasn't put off at all. Brownie points awarded.

Odd though
She said the one under the dryer in Aug was several feet but was striped. She identified it as a King snake right away when we looked at pics...., right around the time we began seeing a steep & sudden drop in the vole population. She had had them throughout the yard, LOTS of tunnels-with-port-holes....crisscrossing the yard everywhere, ever since she moved in 3 yrs ago. Now, they are gone, poof, vamoose. It may be a case when the King has come in, and with many Eastern Rat babies, he's hanging around? Either way, we're good as long as they stay outside where their food is.
Looks like it could possibly an Eastern Kingsnake, although it could be a Black Rat Snake as well. Hard to see the pattern well enough to be certain of the species from the angle of the photo. Neither are venomous, so no worries on that front.

Do you have any pix of the one from August which was striped? Most Kingsnakes are not striped, so maybe it was something else.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
She didn't take any pics of the other one so we'll wait and see what we find. Thanks for letting me know I'm not going to have a really bad day out there! LOL