No UVB

Jakoob1190

Location (City and/or State)
St Austell
Hello. I have had my Russian tortoise for one and a half years. Over that time I bought 3 basking lights for it, but no tube fluorescent light. I believe the first on or two were the mercury ones that release UVB, but not sur, And the last one wasn't. I did this by accident and am buying a UVB Light asap. However, I'm really worried now, as he is only a baby, about him having a shorter life span, or developing a disease from this, will he?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can store D3 for a long time. They can also get D3 in the diet. Does your calcium supplement have D3 in it? If yes, your tortoise should be fine.

If not, we can't really say for sure, but the tortoise is probably going to be fine. It takes a long time and a really poor diet for MBD to set in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello. I have had my Russian tortoise for one and a half years. Over that time I bought 3 basking lights for it, but no tube fluorescent light. I believe the first on or two were the mercury ones that release UVB, but not sur, And the last one wasn't. I did this by accident and am buying a UVB Light asap. However, I'm really worried now, as he is only a baby, about him having a shorter life span, or developing a disease from this, will he?

What makes you think you have a baby ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi Jamie: Just a point of clarification - RF tortoises eat animal protein and that's where the d3 comes from. Russian tortoises, in fact grazing tortoises, don't eat animal protein, so they don't get d3 from their diet unless you supplement.

Yup, I apologized above ... I thought this thread was in the redfoot sub-forum.

Again, sorry ... the info does not apply to the grazing torts.

Jamie