No UVB necessary in indoor enclosure?

RubyG

5 Year Member
In this article, which is referenced a ton, it says Sulcatas/Leopards don't need special uv bulbs, just a time in the sun a couple of times a week. Also, he says that his basking bulb is a 65 watt bulb. So I don't need to buy special UVB bulbs?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/…/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulc…/

"If your tortoise can get some regular sunning time in a safe outdoor enclosure, even just a couple of times a week for most of the year, you don't need any artificial UV."

I'm in California, so I get lots of sun. If I don't have to buy those $50 uvb bulbs, that would be great. I have a 17 month old that I rescued, has MBD. So I want to be really careful with him. I have uvb in his enclosure now, but curious to others raising young leopards what they think of this statement. I have an outdoor enclosure that I put him in on weekends for about an hour or so both Sat and Sun (I work full time during the week). That would be enough UV for the week, according to this article, and I would only have to have regular basking/che in his indoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs UVB either from the sun or from an expensive light. If you don't plan on putting the tortoise outside in the sun at least 3 or 4 hours a week, then you need the light.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have UVB in all of my indoor enclosures. I buy fresh ones in the fall, because I am in Spokane Valley Washington my tortoises are inside for the winter. With MBD, I think regular exposure to UVB would be in your tortoises best interest.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When I lived in SoCal I never used artificial UV lighting with my indoor enclosures. There was just no need for it since all my Leopards got some sun (best UV source) daily. If not daily, at least a few times a week. And when they were inside a few weeks during winter, I still didn't use UV because they were getting sun most of the year.

Will your tortoise spend some decent amount of time outside? UV rays bounce around so a tortoise still benefits from them in the shade btw. If so, then it's up to you on if you want to spend the extra$ on bulbs or not.
I used the$ for other stuff..... ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just re- read that you are dealing with MBD... I don't have experience dealing with that. All my tortoises were healthy and didn't need extra care. In your case you probably want as much UV as possible.. If not with the bulbs, maybe you could build a safe enclosure so the tort can be outside while you are at work. ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The care sheet was written for a normal healthy tortoise. If you are fighting MBD then you should be exposing your tortoise to strong sources of UV daily for several hours. A couple hours a week has been proven to prevent MBD, but combating MBD in progress is a different story.

What type of UV bulb are you currently using?

I would leave your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure that offers mid day sun and plenty of shade for 3-4 hours a day, every day. If work prevents that then indoor UV bulbs should be used until you are sure the tortoise is fully recovered from the MBD