No longer eating!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Okay, I'm worried now! My turtles have slowed down- http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/gearing-up-for-the-cold.105115/-(explains!) but now my female RES and my painted turtles have barley eaten at all within the last few days. Yes, I know, that's not long at ALL! but it's not like them at all either, they usually gobble up food like no tomorrow! (unless they're full) I worried mr midland is starting to look thinner??? I can have pics if you want them! I ave even tried chicken, which I cut back after a scute issue, AND THEY DIDN"T EAT IT. That doesn't happen, ever. Their behavior is fine, ms RES layed another egg, is active and well. My painted turtles are happy, bask often, and aren't aggressive at all (I feel a little lucky :p )
What do I do? My YBS and other RES are eating great!
:(:confused:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What are you feeding them?temps? could they be sick?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm in Northern California. My 12 years old RES been stop eating for couple weeks now, He is ready for his hibernation this winter, which been the case for the past.

We have highs in about low 70th and low in about 50's. And will get colder for the next couple days. Our RES will stay in my porch, in his tank for the entire California winter. He always awake and swimming around and get onto his basking rock when sun hits into his tank.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What are you feeding them?temps? could they be sick?
My painted turtles get OmegaOne Adult turtle sticks every day (The only adult turtle food I've found that's smaller!) ZooMed Adult pellets, and now they sometimes get these wheat fish pellets because it helps them shed healthily... and I give them normal greens like dandelion every other day, even though they aren't fans! I used to feed them more meat, but a while ago mr midland had a small retained scute issue, and I was advised to feed meat less often (it used to be 3-4 aweek) and more greens.
My RES gets the big, bulky ZooMed Adult turtle pellets, and ZooMed gormet buffet, every day. I was helpfully informed larger turtles can be more herbivorous, so she gets a bigger variety of greens a few times a week.
Both tanks/tubs have cuttle bones, but the painted turtles aren't really into theirs.
My painted turtles basking temp is 85-90, and I have these super large (they used to hold my sliders) basking platforms, so they have a nice gradient of 70 too. My RES's basking spot is high 80's, and she has a small spot where it's 75. All my lights are on 13 hours a day, from 8 to 9. I should mention I don't use coil bulbs!
But they are behaving normally! Their eyes are clear, no runny noses, no wheezing, no scrapes, no nothing! I'm super paranoid when I think they might be sick, so any sign to me is a sign to get help, like not eating :( They bask normally, and they've got their routines down like ever.
Ms RES passed another egg (in the water, I found it:( ) just fine, and she is normal and happy...
Her diet is the exact same as my YBS and mr male RES, so are the temps. I generalized their care because they are such similar sizes and their needs are almost the same!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm in Northern California. My 12 years old RES been stop eating for couple weeks now, He is ready for his hibernation this winter, which been the case for the past.

We have highs in about low 70th and low in about 50's. And will get colder for the next couple days. Our RES will stay in my porch, in his tank for the entire California winter. He always awake and swimming around and get onto his basking rock when sun hits into his tank.
But my temps are constant?! If he's outdoors, he feels the whether changing. Mine aren't, so they can only rely on their bio clocks, but they shouldn't have stopped eating!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the res could be retaining the eggs, and that could be affecting her, do they have a place they can dig? feeding them greens is fine, I do mine, right now I am king of stumped, your set up sounds good, I would hold off on any vet visits for the moment.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
the res could be retaining the eggs, and that could be affecting her, do they have a place they can dig? feeding them greens is fine, I do mine, right now I am king of stumped, your set up sounds good, I would hold off on any vet visits for the moment.
Yes, right now I have my sliders separated, and my two girls are living in ZooMed tubs (YES. I know, it sucks, I'm getting something bigger!) and I have the land parts filled with sand and fine gravel :)
I don't understand what's wrong??? :confused:;)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I'm sorry Yellow Turtle...I got nothing for you...they don't usually slow down this time a year? Or you just know something's off?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Light cycle, can affect them, shorter days, can make them less active.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well, sure, but they I'm sure they shouldn't stop eating! I don't hibernate :( They are little piggy's with food, so this is a little concerning!!
Hmmm...I wish I had an answer for you. It's scary when tortoises stop eating like that! It could be numerous things. I would say a fecal exam but not sure if that's jumping the gun.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmmm...I wish I had an answer for you. It's scary when tortoises stop eating like that! It could be numerous things. I would say a fecal exam but not sure if that's jumping the gun.
I feel like if they needed meds, there would be other signs too?? I took my sliders to the vet for a checkup when I first got them in the summer, and they were all clean! :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Suggestions?? They barley touched their food today! :confused: I added another hour, should I bump up temps?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Today is the 5th day. They didn't touch their food on Monday, so if they eat today, I'll be topping it off at 4! :confused: I know that's not long at all, but I mean! :(:confused:
I hope someone can give you an answer with more experience :( I know your really worries as I would be too!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I wish I knew what to tell you, but I've never kept turtles, so I have no experience to share. :(