No idea what this is

AnimalLady

Hello!

Yesterday I had Mac out and about and he seemed to be sniffing the ground, he would walk and then sniff. He found a very small patch of the plant in question and then nibbled.. he actually started to sniff more and its almost like he hunted out this plant. I was scared to let him eat it, but he really really wanted to. Ive been searching everywhere.. no idea what this is. Looked on TT, no luck.

I posted 2 pix, one up close and one of the patch to get a better look at how it grows.

Any ideas?

plant2.jpg

plant1.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I let my torts free roam the yard from time to time and they pick and choose what they want to eat.
In all this time, I've never had one ill because of something it ate.
They seem to know what should be on the menu but it's good to ask.
I have no idea what that is, but if it's in my lawn, it gets eaten.
I only use mushrooms as the exception. ANY wild mushrooms I remove from the yard right away.

Shponglized

London
I have an app on my phone called "Like that Garden". You can take a nice clear pi ture of a plant (details like leaves/flowers etc.) and it will give you a good identification of what I could be. I use it when I'm out and about looking for suitable grub for my tort.

AnimalLady

I have an app on my phone called "Like that Garden". You can take a nice clear pi ture of a plant (details like leaves/flowers etc.) and it will give you a good identification of what I could be. I use it when I'm out and about looking for suitable grub for my tort.
Awesome! Thank you!

AnimalLady

I let my torts free roam the yard from time to time and they pick and choose what they want to eat.
In all this time, I've never had one ill because of something it ate.
They seem to know what should be on the menu but it's good to ask.
I have no idea what that is, but if it's in my lawn, it gets eaten.
I only use mushrooms as the exception. ANY wild mushrooms I remove from the yard right away.

See, this was going to be my next question. Would a tort eat something if it wasnt good for them? I think not... but wasnt sure. I kinda feel bad that I didnt let him go to town!!! Ugh. He'll have a feast when momma gets home ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think that it's very possible that a tort would eat something that isn't good for them.
I think that its just that there are so few truly deadly things growing in our yards...................

AnimalLady

I think that it's very possible that a tort would eat something that isn't good for them.
I think that its just that there are so few truly deadly things growing in our yards...................

Since you're pretty much my neighbor, do you know of any other South FL weeds that are abundant and easy to find? You told me about Purslane, any others like it?

Alaskamike

South Florida
We've had this discussion before - would a tort eat something that harms them ?

I notice mine sniffing too. They sniff and take a bite - sometimes sniff and walk away. What are they smelling ? We don't know.

But it does seem they kinda know by the smell if it's okay. On the other hand , it does happen at times that they will eat toxic plants. It has been said that we expose our tortoises to plants they would never encounter in the regions they evolved in. This is true too.

In an enclosure I use caution. Not as much space to roam and more danger of nibbling the wrong thing.

I also think the larger and more mature the tortoise , the less danger since if they nibble something wrong for them they have a larger body mass to deal with it. I don't know if this really makes sense or not.

My 40 lb Sulcata ranges the 1/4 acre yard. I know things can spring up in there he shouldn't eat but he seems to be okay and choose the right stuff.

My smaller tortoises are in smaller outside areas and I pull out weeds I know are not okay when I see them.

Tortoises will eat cat / dog poop , paper , plastic, and styrofoam. ( don't ask me how I know)

It is wise to know your plants.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tjey often eat stuff that is bad for them. In their native area withh hundreds of thousands of generations there they probably know what's safe to eat. A few years in your yard? Probably not so much.