Please help with weed id

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
Hello again! Day 2 with Pablo, my Russian Tortoise, and still my head is spinning in circles. You know you've caught the "tort bug" when you notice all the dandelions while driving around town!

Today Pablo was out for a walk in the yard, under supervision since his outdoor enclosure isn't ready... and I noticed he went straight for this patch of "weeds" in our yard. I think it's clover, but I'm not sure. There are no white flower buds that normally give it away. I'm scared it might be oxalis. I tried reading through the other posts/threads on here, but I'm still not sure I can tell the difference, so I took some pictures. Two are of the "clover-ish" plant, and one is of another plant he was anxious to eat as well... NO IDEA what that one is! Neither my husband or I have a very green thumb! I guess the plus side of that is there are no fertilizers or chemicals of any sort in our yard! lol! So can our buddy eat these? Thanks for the help!
weed1.JPGweed2.JPGweed3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're right, it kinda' sorta' does look like Oxalis...however, without seeing the flower its hard to tell from a picture. I also might be burr clover. Its ok to eat, however not very palatable. I'm not sure what the last one is. I have it too, but the tortoises don't eat it.

Yvonne

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I would think the first one is Oxalis. I have No idea what the unknown weed is either. The way I look at it (if it has no flower) is looking at the leaves. Oxalis tend to be more heart shaped leaves like yours. Clover tends to not have any heart shaped leaves.

Here's a picture of my white clover. You can see, each leaf looks like the shape of a football, doesnt look like a heart.

WClover2.jpg

And here is some yellow clover. Again football shaped leaves.

YClover2.jpg

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I know what you mean by eyeing the dandelions. I wrote somewhere that we should have a bumper-sticker saying we stop for dandelions.
Congrats on Pablo--such cute name!
I've been yanking all the oxalis from my yard whenever I see them. What a pain but no problem for my tort Penelope.

S

stells

Oxalis isn't toxic but is high in Oxalic acid... my tortoises don't touch it so i don't have to worry about it... saying that though Dandelions also have a fair amount of oxalix acid... so should not be fed on a daily basis... weekly but not daily...

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
yellow wood sorrow.... very high in oxalic acid. i always taste what my torts eat ( i know. wierd huh??), and when i found that i thaught it was clover. i chewed one leaf and it gave me indegestion, felt like i had acid reflux...

Status
Not open for further replies.