NO contract C E L L p h o n e Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Since I still live in the "communication" DARK-AGES.. we have no cell phone!

We don't need a phone to "text".. "take pics or movies".. "surf-the-web".. or get a backrub - or anything like that so we are ready to get the "Verizon" phones and buy minutes for them.. pros and cons please - ASAP please?

Thank you.......
ASLEEP.gif

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
RE: NO contract CELL phone Q?

Pro - No contract!
Pro - Verizon
Pro - Must have for emergencys in this modern age!

Go get it!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah

Pro - cell phones really are great for emergencies
Pro - you can call people more often
Pro - Verizon has pretty great coverage

Con - people can call you more often (there are times when I really do wish I didn't have a cell phone)
Con - It's Verizon ;) and they aren't generally the cheapest.
Con - "minutes" plans are more expensive than prepaid plans. T-mobile has some cheap minimal prepay plans with no texting. Looks like their cheapest is 29.99 in my area which equates to about 40 after taxes. That's just for an individual plan though. Family plans are a bit different.

I'd think about it before getting it (which is of course what you've been doing). Once you get one, there's no turning back!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

I had one years ago and I liked it very much. They are probably even better now. I love Verizon, to me are the best out there. :D Welcome to the 21st Century now go get your phones, so your wife can track you down wherever you go. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Verizon is by far the best and best customer service too. This is a generality and you know how much I get around the country. I'm surrounded by a couple hundred people out in remote locations and MOST of the time Verizon has more and better signal. Generally At&t has the worst reception.

Prepaid, no contract plans cost more, but there are no strings attached.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

Thanks everybody so far!

Verizon to Verizon does not cost minutes? Any connection fees, etc.?

Yes it's mainly for us to "keep-in-touch" Candy.. for emergencies.. no contract. Cost per minutes is not an issue. My 'cable/business' ph. is for long-distance calls.. and most of the 'personal' calls otherwise are very few anyway.

This "unlimited" land-line plan we have tried since just last month per month costs more than 2 of the Verizon phones..
36_12_1.gif

Can't accuse me of being slow on the up-take!

More please?..........

NERD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

You will find lots of areas where your phone won't work, including some in your own area, so don't expect to always have the ability to use the cell. Texting does seem to get thru more often/sooner then calls as your going in and out of bad cell areas.

We have the contract, which really I ended up liking better then the prepaid we started out with for the kids. Currently we have the five phones running and it's unlimited usage. What I dislike the most about Verizon is you have to go thru so many layers of button pushing/question answering to ever get to talk to a real human being (always have a full battery charge before attempting such a feat :rolleyes:).

Before we had AT&T, service was much easier and to me as we constantly travel the country, I don't see where we get any more noticable coverage with Verizon then we did them.

I didn't like Sprint for our cell, but unfortunately it's still the best we have found for our laptop use. :(

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
hmmm, and spammers were so nice and polite there for a while...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Where I live Verizon has the best coverage. I just started texting about a year ago and it make comunication so much easier. I would make sure you get a QWERTY key board, because you will want to text. Nobady talks anymore LOL.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
in true emergenies of a very large scale..... natural disaster, the cell phone towers could be down or overloaded, so then a Landline might be the only option.

I wouldn't get a prepaid cell phone, I would just get a cheap monthly phone. I promise you, once you get a cell phone, you will use it more than you expect....

ex-- you are at the grocery store... can't remember if your wife said ranch or 1000 island dressing... you call her and ask. just used 3 minutes. you are running late to a meeting, you call and let them know... another 3 minutes. you land from a flight and your family hasn't picked you up yet... 10 minutes...lol. my parents were the same as you, but they now use it all the time. go onto their website and check coverage. ask people around you about "dead areas". ask how many times the calls get dropped randomly.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Our prepaid phones are for calling each other.. no one else. We can call each other [ or any other Verizon user ] as many times a day and talk as long as we want any day of the week.. and it costs us $.99 PER DAY/ per Phone! That was easy. Non-Verizon users are $.10/minute.

Last month we made 8-9? calls.. we started with $25 in early Aug. and bought $15 on Saturday.. I now have $29.75 on my phone.

NERD

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
what are the taxes? fees? nonusage fees? termination costs? contracts? limitations? cell plans are always filled with this junk...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
All of those are for "CONTRACT" .. we're talking about NO CONTRACT, remember.

We bought the phones for 22 bucks each [ car charger and 'ear-bugs' inc. ] We buy/pay for the usage [ as described before ] and 2 days before the 'months-time' is over we buy more --- any unused $$/usage rolls over to next month. Saturday [ after the FIRST month ] we each bought a $15 Refill Card and that was installed by the clerk and my current balance TODAY is $29.75.

IF we don't buy more 'usage' within 28 days we lose our current # and have to start over again.. and I'm not sure what that means or costs.

NERD

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry, I have used both. I am currently under a Verizon contract plan that is bundled with my computer and TV. But I am thinking of getting a pay as you go phone also. I can't use my cellphone (because of the camera) or even take into work, as I work in a Secure State facility. You also can't take a cell phone with a camera into a courthouse or other venues. That's one good thing about the pay as you go (without camera). I don't use the phone for anything other than talking, no text, no pic, ok maybe one or two, but usually none, I prefer the camera much better quality. $15 a month is less expensive than most if not all plans. If you have the phones I say stick with them. Can you pay less than the $15 a month? I would contact Verizon and find out what the lose your number etc means and if you reach a certain amount stored can you skip buying a month without penalty. Some providers offer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.