Nightbox help

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Hey everyone

My sulcata Koopa is 3 now. We have followed Toms closed chamber since we got her and have obviously had to keep changing to bigger and bigger enclosures as she’s gotten bigger. She’s at 8” now and spending the days outside but I bring her in at night. Mainly because I don’t have a nightbox. We had the snowmageddon blizzard in Denver in March which decimated my property. So this summer we will be relandscaping and setting up Koopa. I have looked on here for nightbox plans and people mention Tom’s. Since his enclosed chamber leads have helped me perfectly get Koopa to almost 4 years old with a smooth shell, I would love to get his nightbox instructions if there are any. Can anyone get me a link to where I can find it?

Thank you!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I built his night box for my 3 year old a couple months ago. Toretto loves it and accepted very quickly that it was his house. The temperature is stable. I would try and build it close to where you want to place it or make sure that you have resources to help you move it because it will be HEAVY! It’s definitely the best permanent solution in my opinion!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

tortlover73

5 Year Member
I built his night box for my 3 year old a couple months ago. Toretto loves it and accepted very quickly that it was his house. The temperature is stable. I would try and build it close to where you want to place it or make sure that you have resources to help you move it because it will be HEAVY! It’s definitely the best permanent solution in my opinion!
Thanks so very very much. After seeing that my sulcata has gained a pound in the last 10 days I know I need to expedite this lmao

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Hey Tom. Thanks so much for all the advice. I’ve followed your enclosed chamber to a tee and my sulcata hatchling who is 4 has a perfect shell and is so healthy :)))

The question about the night box is this... she’s 4 years old and 8”. I am in Denver but am not planning to stay here. I have three years left until my son graduates and then I’m moving to warmer weather and open spaces for both me and the tort. (Yes people think I’m nuts to move my life mainly for the tortoise but yes I love her this much and I do plan on rescuing another sulcata once I’m settled. ). But in the meantime I will be dealing with Denver winters. As of now she is still able to be in her indoor setup but being outside so much she’s growing fast (a pound in 10 days). So I am wondering how I would need to adjust this nightbox for colder than 30 degree nights In Denver. I’m planning on the 4x4x2...not sure if the RHP and Kane’s Mat is enough or would I need an oil one too?

Thanks. Nothing is spared when it comes to Koopa ❤️

Attachments

• D7072311-CE65-450D-9373-30D4A5D03C7B.jpeg
    D7072311-CE65-450D-9373-30D4A5D03C7B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We get down to high 20s occasionally in winter and my boxes all stay in the 80s, but its usually warmer the next day. You'll have to give it a try and see. Seems like you'd need some sort of large indoor heated room for winter. They can't "live" in the 4x4 night box all winter.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
We get down to high 20s occasionally in winter and my boxes all stay in the 80s, but its usually warmer the next day. You'll have to give it a try and see. Seems like you'd need some sort of large indoor heated room for winter. They can't "live" in the 4x4 night box all winter.
Yeah I am probably going to build a small room framed I to the garage where I’ll keep the heated house. I can heat that with an oil heater. It already has a dog door there with access to the back yard. So I’ll plan on that. Then when I sell the house in 3 years I can advertise the room as a storage spot for lawn mower and snow blower etc.

Reactions: Tom

tortlover73

5 Year Member
One more thing.. I found the list of supplies needed for the 4x8.... but how does the supply list change for the 4x4. I just ordered the radiant heat panel and the heat mat. But I need to go buy the actual box ingredients now lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One more thing.. I found the list of supplies needed for the 4x8.... but how does the supply list change for the 4x4. I just ordered the radiant heat panel and the heat mat. But I need to go buy the actual box ingredients now lol
You'll need less stuff!!! :D

Just kiddin'.

For a 4x4 you need only 4 sheets of plywood and 2 sheets of insulation. You'll have to count out the 2x3s and 2x4s... I use 2x2s in the lid to save weight. The outer rim of the lid is 2x4s to give me the overhang, but the framing inside the lid between the plywood layers is 2x2.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Haven’t seen one like this before lol. Slow and steady growth. Smooth shell. But holy wow.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Picked up my materials today. Borrowed my friends truck to get it. Everyone thinks this is hilarious I have this many supplies to build the tortoise a house. They must not get the size issue. Maybe I’ll bring Koopa to meet them though she’s only 8” so far haha

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Here is a question. Ordered the Kane mat from tortoisesupply.com. It came and its great, though pretty big for her as it is right now. I also ordered the thermostat you recommended (I already have one for the indoor enclosure too). What do I plug into the thermostat once the night box is built... Mainly the Kane mat and the radiant heat panel? I won't have UV lights in there since it is the night box. Just planning. Scheming and planning some more. This is way premature as I haven't built it yet and will need to get a saw to cut the 4x8 plywood into 4x4. It's raining here in Denver so I can't get started anyways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a question. Ordered the Kane mat from tortoisesupply.com. It came and its great, though pretty big for her as it is right now. I also ordered the thermostat you recommended (I already have one for the indoor enclosure too). What do I plug into the thermostat once the night box is built... Mainly the Kane mat and the radiant heat panel? I won't have UV lights in there since it is the night box. Just planning. Scheming and planning some more. This is way premature as I haven't built it yet and will need to get a saw to cut the 4x8 plywood into 4x4. It's raining here in Denver so I can't get started anyways.
Plug the thermostat into the power source, and plug the RHP and Kane mat into the thermostat. Put the probe somewhere away from both heat sources. Use a thermometer to fine tune the setting on the thermostat.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Plug the thermostat into the power source, and plug the RHP and Kane mat into the thermostat. Put the probe somewhere away from both heat sources. Use a thermometer to fine tune the setting on the thermostat.
Gracias! I’m just a sulcata Padawan lol

tortlover73

5 Year Member
@Tom I am wondering in one of the posts you mentioned you cut the bottom plywood a little smaller so the top overhangs it a little. I’m making a 4x4 for one sulcata. How much do I cut off the bottom plywood.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I am wondering in one of the posts you mentioned you cut the bottom plywood a little smaller so the top overhangs it a little. I’m making a 4x4 for one sulcata. How much do I cut off the bottom plywood.
The width of two 2x4s, plus about 1 inch for the plywood sides, plus about 1 1/4 inch for clearance all around when you open and close the top. If I recall, the bottom will be around 42-43".