night time temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
my cherry head Enclosure get's kinda cold in some spots. half (right side) of it stays at 75 to 80 the other half ( left side) gets down to 64 is that ok?
this is my set up the silver dome is a night light.
the substrate has a heating cable in it so it helps keep them warm.
turtle014.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
64 is about 5 degrees lower than I would be comfortable with, however it may be more important that they have choices for where to hide and can hide somewhere warmer if they wanted.

Personally, I'd pop a ceramic heat emitter over that cold spot, or put an undersoil heater cable in the area.

shane1111

5 Year Member
there is a under soil heat cable in it it just does not reach the surface very well. maybe i should add some sand to my eco earth?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins007 is right. That is a little too cool for a hatchling. Try not to let it get below 70-72 degrees at night. Its not that the lower temps in your enclosure would be fatal or anything if it was only for a short while. But all the time wouldn't be good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the silver dome light is your night heat, then I'd say its up too high.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
You might want to consider a CHE.Then you have 24 hrs of daylight.Just a suggestion.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
shane1111 said:
there is a under soil heat cable in it it just does not reach the surface very well. maybe i should add some sand to my eco earth?

The Eco-earth may be too thick, or too dry. Try thinning and dampening it (using warm water to give it a headstart).

shane1111

5 Year Member
i have to have it thick for the plants.my little guys seem to be doing good. its only a few spots it the corners it gets that low. i just put flower pots as there hides about a half inch above the cable so it should heat the pots a little bit.
they have plenty of places to hide that are not heated by the cable to

Status
Not open for further replies.