Night box almost done

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Based off Toms except we upcyled a huge table from his shop that was no longer used. Still 4x8x2 instead of the top opening we hinged on side. Still insulated though. Now I just have to move it lol and seal and paint. Just need a tortoise to move in haha

Attachments

• 1383509164091.jpg
    1383509164091.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 163

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Have one coming from azsulca! So excited. I eventually want a giant herd lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Very exciting. It won't be long and you'll have your herd Lots of Sullies need new better homes:D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If you have the room there are lots of good torts that need homes, your heated hide looks great!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Very nice! I love it when the home is ready for the tortoise when it gets there. Happy day.
Acres and acres is awesome for a giant herd. Lots of sulcatas need land and freedom to be the sulcata they are meant to be! Yay! ! : )

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Still needs a few things. My thermostat gets here tomorrow so the heater can go in. But I still need to caulk it, and put the vinyl up in the doorway. Vinyl is on the way also.

Oh and I need to get some hay

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
JennBell0725 said:
Still needs a few things. My thermostat gets here tomorrow so the heater can go in. But I still need to caulk it, and put the vinyl up in the doorway. Vinyl is on the way also.

Oh and I need to get some hay

Lol unlike how you throw in that last oh and hay! Lol anyways what type of heater are you planning on using? And thermostat? If you don't mind. I'll be making one soon and just getting different feed backs on heaters and thermostats and trying to see what will work best for me

Kyle

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Im using a radiated oil heater. And the zilla 1000w thermostat. I already have one of those and it works great.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah I was thinking of a oil heater too, and I wasn't sure on a thermostat, arnt most those heaters like 1500watts? That's what I was more concerned about, I was gunna pm tom and see what thermostat he uses for his oil heater but that 1000w zilla may work :)

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
The heater I have has 2 settings 600w and 900w or both for 1500w. Gonna just use the 600w setting. Poor Tom. Ive been pestering the poor sulcata guru lol. I couldnt find the mini oil heater with the dual settings so im just using an oil heater I have on hand. I doubt it will come on much that thing is super insulated lol.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah I read once it heated up it stays hot for hours without needing to kick on. I think I'm going the same route as you

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Walmart has a smallish filled heater for 40 .00 $ . Most heaters have a thermostat built into them .

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Thats the size I have Mike. All the ones I have do have the built in thermostat but they really dont work that well. I find that since they hold heat so long that the parts of the room around them get way cooler but the yhermostat doesnt turn it back on until the heater completely clears.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Moved it home and holy crap is heavy

Attachments

• 1383606409439.jpg
    1383606409439.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 51

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are on your way. Are you going to get a rescue? There are so many home less sulcatas out here .

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Unfortunately Mike, there are not any rescues in my area. I'm getting a male from AZsulcata. I was looking into a 80+lb sulcata in Mississippi, but the guy kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Needless to say I didn't feel comfortable driving 3+ hours to meet him after that. I guess it's fortunate that Sulcatas are not that abundant here. If anyone is willing to ship an unwanted tort to me it will always have a home though. This guy isn't even here yet. I go tomorrow morning to get a pack for railroad ties to close off his yard. Everything is coming together nicely so far. I'm so excited to meet him. I gave my little brother the honor of naming him since he helped build his night box. So Littlefoot will be his name. I already had Ducky, Spike, and Cera lol. Now I need a Petrie :p