Newby from Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Glad to find this site. Hopefully I'll find answers here when I have questions about raising my new sulcata tortoise, louis. I'm not 100% new to raising a turtle - my son had red eared sliders when he was young that we raised, BUT i am certainly new to raising a tortoise that will eventually weigh about as much as i do. yikes! but, i'm up for the experience and anxious to learn all i can so i can raise him well.

i live in rural missouri. i work for a veterinarian, although he's a horse and cattle vet, but he does have experience with some exotics. my sons have raised several turtles years ago and also a bearded dragon, who died of old age last year. i can't have a dog in my house right now, so opted for a turtle since i just love them. after some research and a little shopping around, i decided on the sulcata tortoise.

any advice will be great. right now he's living in the 55 gallon aquarium that our bearded dragon was in a year ago (all cleaned out). (i keep calling our turtle a "he", but "he" is young enough we aren't for sure he's a he yet. but, we're calling him louis (after louis armstrong). if "he" turns out to be a "she", then well call her louise or lois. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi marcy4hope:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

Would you like for us to call you "Marcy?"

Glad to have you here with us.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
emysemys said:
Hi marcy4hope:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

Would you like for us to call you "Marcy?"

Glad to have you here with us.

yep, marcy is fine.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome! I'm from Missouri as well! I have a russian tortoise but love the personality of a sully! There's lots of great info & advice here on the forum :) I know there are care sheets for each species listed on their section so reading that would be a great way to add to your knowledge. Feel free to post pics, we love seeing everyone's babies!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi there and welcome! We too are from MO, St Louis actually. Are you around that area? We also have a sulcata but he is about 18 months now! You'll find a lot of great info here and never be afraid to ask! :D

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
SulcataSquirt said:
Hi there and welcome! We too are from MO, St Louis actually. Are you around that area? We also have a sulcata but he is about 18 months now! You'll find a lot of great info here and never be afraid to ask! :D

i am just a little over an hour from st. louis. :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
marcy4hope said:
i am just a little over an hour from st. louis. :)

Awesome. We have friends that live in Bourbon and we also travel to the Ozarks (about 2.5 hrs away). Always neat meeting people on here around the area. Can't wait to see pics.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
SulcataSquirt said:
Awesome. We have friends that live in Bourbon and we also travel to the Ozarks (about 2.5 hrs away). Always neat meeting people on here around the area. Can't wait to see pics.

we go to the ozarks as often as we can. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.