Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly83

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I am completely new to having tortoises and we have just bought 2!! Zippy and Daisy lol, they are down on paper work as testudo graeca, so im thinking Greek but any help on what type would be great so I can care to their needs as the pet shop gave very conflicting advice on feed ect compared to what I have researched. any help would be very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• DSCF1100.JPG
    DSCF1100.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • DSCF1101.JPG
    DSCF1101.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • DSCF1108.JPG
    DSCF1108.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 89

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Kelly. We have a member currently working on a care sheet for the Greek tortoises. Keep watching this section for it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new tortoises! They are both so cute! :) I love baby tortoises... never have had any of my own...

It looks like you have your tank set up with several different substrates, that's good. You want to make sure to mist your babies, and to keep the coco coir nice and moist (but not clammy - watch the temps!). Dark leafy greens from the edible plants list (http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/files/Booklet 2nd edition_March 2012.pdf) are important, and with babies, you want to soak them in shallow water 1-2x daily. :)

There are many owners on here who have 100% more experience with babies, I'm just repeating what I have heard. All my tortoises are adult or almost adult. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't own Greeks, but I had baby sulcatas. The humidity, soaks,and greens are important as is the temps. I would search some of the threads here on temps for baby Greeks. They are simply adorable. I hope you have many good years with your babies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
kelly83 said:
Hi everyone I am completely new to having tortoises and we have just bought 2!! Zippy and Daisy lol, they are down on paper work as testudo graeca, so im thinking Greek but any help on what type would be great so I can care to their needs as the pet shop gave very conflicting advice on feed ect compared to what I have researched. any help would be very much appreciated :)

Testudo gracea = Greek. The first is the scientific genus name, Greek is a common name given to the genus. There are multiple species and subspecies of Greek tortoise throughout the Middle East, Northern Mediterranean, Eastern Europe and North Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.