DreReyes

Hi all! Ive been contacting a few sulcata breeders about hatchlings and none of them want to show pics of the hatchlings parents.. is it not a valid request to see the parents?? I used to breed dogs and before anything else i ask to see the parents:) is it different for reptile/tortoise breeders?? Thanks for taking time to answer

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yes, i think it is a perfectly valid request.
Though, i suppose in a big set up you may not know who the father is.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.

DreReyes

Yes, i think it is a perfectly valid request.
Though, i suppose in a big set up you may not know who the father is.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Thanks for your reply:) i was just wondering coz 1 breeder seemed offended when i asked to see the parents and that was never my intent:) was just really curious

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
There may be someone in our breeders section near you who is more forthcoming.
I still say it's a fair question, and I've seen it recommended to new purchasers somewhere.

DreReyes

There may be someone in our breeders section near you who is more forthcoming.
I still say it's a fair question, and I've seen it recommended to new purchasers somewhere.
my thoughts exactly:) im a firm believer of the idea that how the parents adults look always dictates how well the babies are being taken cared of:) thanks again! I will browse the breeders section:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. So glad you found us BEFORE you bought one. Most breeders start them all wrong and far too dry. For 30 years we've been treating this as a desert species and it ISN'T!

Please read these BEFORE you even contact anymore breeders. You will be so glad you did.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

I will have some babies available in about two months. If you want one sooner, there are a few good breeders who start them right here on this forum.

DreReyes

Hello and welcome. So glad you found us BEFORE you bought one. Most breeders start them all wrong and far too dry. For 30 years we've been treating this as a desert species and it ISN'T!

Please read these BEFORE you even contact anymore breeders. You will be so glad you did.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

I will have some babies available in about two months. If you want one sooner, there are a few good breeders who start them right here on this forum.
Thanks for your reply:) ive actually read those already.. thanks though, much appreciated:) im looking to buy in a week of 2 from now.. just finishing up the indoor enclosure first:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In that case we have a member named @Lancecham that has well-started babies for sale on a regular basis. I recommend his babies highly and have seen nothing but good results from everyone who has one of his babies.

DreReyes

In that case we have a member named @Lancecham that has well-started babies for sale on a regular basis. I recommend his babies highly and have seen nothing but good results from everyone who has one of his babies.
Much appreciated sir!! I will contact him:) thanks! I will definitely be contacting you for tips and what not:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Much appreciated sir!! I will contact him:) thanks! I will definitely be contacting you for tips and what not:)

Getting the baby from the right source makes all the difference. Those first few days and weeks right after hatchling are unbelievably critical and the things that are done, or not done, make a HUGE difference later on. Lance does it right.

We have another member named Austin who does it right too. @Arizona Sulcata . I don't see him on the forum much anymore, but he might still be selling some babies. If Lance doesn't have what you need right now, Austin would be my next place to check.

DreReyes

Getting the baby from the right source makes all the difference. Those first few days and weeks right after hatchling are unbelievably critical and the things that are done, or not done, make a HUGE difference later on. Lance does it right.

We have another member named Austin who does it right too. @Arizona Sulcata . I don't see him on the forum much anymore, but he might still be selling some babies. If Lance doesn't have what you need right now, Austin would be my next place to check.
couldnt agree more sir! I used to show and breed dogs so im all for breeder integrity:) i appreciate the help sir!:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434864341.830072.jpg. I think what the problem was you more then likely contacted people for baby's that don't really raise the torts . They buy only to resell them so they don't have the parents . I'm not saying this is bad it's just life . But your at the right spot now . The TFO has great people and great torts . Good luck in your search !

DreReyes

Hello View attachment 135419. I think what the problem was you more then likely contacted people for baby's that don't really raise the torts . They buy only to resell them so they don't have the parents . I'm not saying this is bad it's just life . But your at the right spot now . The TFO has great people and great torts . Good luck in your search !
Thanks for the warm welcome sir!:)
Yeah.. thats most probably the case:)

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I highly recommend Lance as Tom suggested him to me when I wanted to buy a sulcata. Lance is great to deal with and will answer any questions you have. My sulcata is very active and heathy. It eats everything!!!! Not only does lance start them humid, he starts them off on diet with variety.

Reactions: Tom

DreReyes

After a couple of failed attempts at getting one i was finally blessed with my first sulcata:) got him from @Lancecham as referred by @Tom :) my kid named him "short fuse" aka "shorty" as we had car battery problems right after we got him lol thanks and more power to tortoise forum!!:)

Attachments

• 20150625_083228.jpg
    20150625_083228.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
After a couple of failed attempts at getting one i was finally blessed with my first sulcata:) got him from @Lancecham as referred by @Tom :) my kid named him "short fuse" aka "shorty" as we had car battery problems right after we got him lol thanks and more power to tortoise forum!!:)
Splendid.
And congratulations.