ClaireJackman

Location (City and/or State)
Worcestershire uk
Hiya, I've just re homed 2 2.5 yr old horsfields, they have been kept separate as the male has been nasty and made her bleed biting her, but I have read that their mating can be quite aggressive so is this normal?I would love to put them together to have fun but don't want to distress her. Also ANY tips would be grateful to give them the best life I can :) TIA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Claire: Unless you want to raise baby tortoises, keep them separate. The male will keep pestering and harming the female and eventually she will stay hidden all the time to stay out of his sight. It IS normal, however, in the wild the female can get away from the male. In an enclosure, she is trapped with him.

ClaireJackman

Worcestershire uk
Thanks for replying Yvonne, I was thinking about it in the future, but I want to get every thing right first and make sure they are happy, I am a bit concerned about them getting cold at night too when I turn their lights off...my house isn't the warmest, would u recommend any thing I could put in or will they be ok?x

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How cold is it at night? Russian torts can tolerate lower temps, but I wouldn't go under 65-70 :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for replying Yvonne, I was thinking about it in the future, but I want to get every thing right first and make sure they are happy, I am a bit concerned about them getting cold at night too when I turn their lights off...my house isn't the warmest, would u recommend any thing I could put in or will they be ok?x

What is the over night low in your house?

ClaireJackman

Worcestershire uk
I'm not quite sure:-\ I'm gonna get a thermometer next time I'm in town...I've read about coco coir?? Is it worth getting some just Incase?x

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Take care: one tortoise could harm another believe me. I'd suggest your separating them so as to avoid such a horrible event. Good luck.