Newbie to this group from Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndhome

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone - My husband and I are just starting the process of adoption of a desert tortoise here in Phoenix. When I called to discuss the adoption process with a local agency, they said we could not adopt because we have dogs (2 greyhounds). We would like to have the dogs and tortoise share the yard without having to fence one off from the other. Growing up here in Phoenix, I had a desert tortoise as well as a german shepherd and they never had any problems getting along. Is this something new or was I just lucky to have a dog and tortoise get along together? We really want to add a tortoise to the family so not sure where to go from here. Any input would be much appreciated!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Hello and welcome! I would venture to say you were extremely lucky. Most dogs seem to like to make a tortoise a chew toy eventually. I myself have an adopted Grey Hound and she wouldn't hurt a fly! But there is no way that I would ever let her around either one of my torts. I love them way too much to even give her a chance to hurt them. Plus, as far as the yard, you don't want your tort to find dog poop and eat it. Best of luck to you! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!!

I operate a tortoise rescue, and the dog rule is one I have also. The tortoise's yard has to have a dog proof fence before you can adopt from me.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm from Phx. And if you have a tort you
Go to the bottom of the list to adopt also . And I have pen box turtles ,
Pen for Greeks , leopards . Why don't
You want your torts to have a pen

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi welcome to TFO [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] unfortunately everyone is right about dogs and torts. I live in PHX as well. I just recently had to reinforce my fence and my tort pen so stray dogs stay OUT of my yard.

Life is good

houndhome

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for their response, I am getting a little discouraged now that I learn dogs are not a good thing. So, lets talk pens. Can you give me an idea of what size they would need? My original thought was to just build him/her a den and then have free range of the yard. I don't have a huge area that I could build a totally enclosed pen but want to see if I can make it work. Photos would be a great help as well. Thanks everyone for your help! I really want a tortoise as I miss having one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's really too bad they won't be able to have free range of the yard.

Let's think this through.

Do your dogs need the yard for exercise, or do you take them out someplace and let them run? For instance, in my case, I have a BIG doberman (78lbs). She only goes outside when I do. In the early evening, we go out into the pasture and I let her run while I walk laps, occasionally stopping to play with her for a bit. She's never outside without me being there. She goes into the tortoise pens with me, and can jump their fences with ease. But I know that if I weren't around to supervise, she would take a toothy interest in one of them.

So, if your dogs are only allowed outside when you're out there, there is no reason the tortoise can't have the whole yard. You just have to be attentive and don't ever lose sight of the fact that they can't go out without you.

If your dogs spend a lot of unsupervised time in the yard, then you'll need to fence off an area for the tortoise that the dogs can't access. I would think an area about 8' x 10 or 20' would be ok, with lots of grass and weeds for grazing, and a tall fence the dogs can't jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.