Newbie reading threads on EBTs

ChelonianChatter

Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
Hello TFO!

I'm considering getting one or more EBTs and have been reading threads about their care.

I watched a great video by Garden State Tortoise the other day, and am thinking about modifying the following storage container into an enclosure for my future turtle through the first year or two until they're big enough to thrive outdoors.

sterilite110qt.jpg

I'll post pictures of the enclosure as I work on it and pics of the turtle once they come to live with me.

CC

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you getting hatchlings? How many do you plan on getting?
A lot of us use the biggest possible tote box available when getting a hatchling.

ChelonianChatter

Northeastern USA
Are you getting hatchlings? How many do you plan on getting?
A lot of us use the biggest possible tote box available when getting a hatchling.
I was thinking about getting hatchlings, 2-4of them, and based on the GST video, this storage container seems like it might be big enough to get them through the first year or so until I can get them outside.

CC

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know how fast they grow. I would think it would be big enough. Go bigger if possible, bigger is not only better but easier to fit everything needed and to put temp zones.
I think the biggest is probably a Christmas tree storage box but not sure they are available easily yet.

ChelonianChatter

Northeastern USA
I don't know how fast they grow. I would think it would be big enough. Go bigger if possible, bigger is not only better but easier to fit everything needed and to put temp zones.
I think the biggest is probably a Christmas tree storage box but not sure they are available easily yet.
Thanks!

CC

ChelonianChatter

Northeastern USA
IMG_0222.jpg

I messed around with the large Sterilite container I bought along with a smaller one that I thought I'd try to use as an "airlock", not that I'm aiming for airtight, but I thought I'd try having a smaller hatch to help hold in humidity and heat.

IMG_0223.jpg

I used a Dremel rotary tool to cut out the bottom of the smaller Sterilite container after tracing its shape on the side of the larger container, then cut out a similar-sized hole up high enough on the side to allow for 6 inches of substrate.

The smaller container was secured within the larger one with a bead of clear silicone along all attachment edges, inside and out.

My plan is to run a waterproof seedling heat-mat through a thermostat, to keep a warm end at 82°F.

CC

ChelonianChatter

Northeastern USA
In the interests of making sure that the enclosure works, I loaded it up with about 6 inches of Reptibark, a bunch of plants for the EBTs to hide under, an actual hide, a shallow swimming pool made from a plastic underpot, and larger moisture reservoir made from a Walmart dishtub.

IMG_0268.jpg

The heat comes from a seedling heat mat that I've run through a thermostat; it took an hour to get up to heat, and ever since has been cycling within 0.2°F. I've been debating running the heater/thermostat through a time to let things cool down for 6-8 hours a night.

Once the EBTs go inside the enclosure, along with a steady supply of poop and extra food, I'll probably add some pillbugs and earthworms as a cleanup crew and mobile snackbar.

CC

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Heat mats are not recommended. Turtles that get too hot dig farther down into the earth...closer to the mat. Many turtles get burns or cooked to death this way. When they need warmth, they seek out sunlight on or near the surface.

Overhead, lighted heating is safest and preferred.

Please review the video here: