New YF owner.

Jennylee

Hello!

We just got a baby yellow foot about 2 weeks ago. They said he(she) is about 4 month old. Well since we got him, he's only pooped one time. We've been feeding him collard greens and papaya the last couple days. His temp is at 80 and humidity ranges from 60-70. The guy at the store didn't give us great info so we've started out a little rocky. Until yesterday all he's been eating is collard greens. I am concerned that he is constipated! I soak him in his bowl daily and he drinks at the same time.... Am I doing something wrong??

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I recommend the Tortoise Library website for footed tortoise nutrition. You need to offer more variety - yellow foots are omnivorous tortoises, and hatchlings *may* require more protein than a typical adult yellow foot would.

Important basics:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/diet-plans-omnivore

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition

A good food list:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/good-foods-list

On top of a good diet and always available fresh water, 30 minute warm soaks every day will help get things moving. Even though yellowfoots aren't known to be a basking species, they still can benefit from warmer micropockets - having a spot where temperatures are warmer, around 88F, can aid in digestion (most species need to get warmer than this to digest, but the footed tortoises seem to be fine under 90F).

Jennylee

Thank you! That was very helpful, I have found some new good information just following through those links!! Would you say that a yellow foot is pretty much the same as a red foot? Care wise.... I seem to see a whole lot more information on them!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Following red foot care sheets won't get you in trouble (and as you say, a lot more information exists for keeping red foots in captivity). That being said, /optimal/ care for the two species is different as they come from different habitats - yellow foots experience less temperature and humidity variability in the wild than redfoots, they also have access to different foods. The Vinkes and Vetters have a very well researched book on the Chelonoidis genus that I recommend to those looking to understand more about red vs yellow foots https://www.amazon.com/dp/3899736036/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! That was very helpful, I have found some new good information just following through those links!! Would you say that a yellow foot is pretty much the same as a red foot? Care wise.... I seem to see a whole lot more information on them!
Welcome.
I keep the "calmer", more tropical cousin. Redfoot.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Care for them the same as a redfoot and you will be ok. In some areas of south America the northern redfoots and yellowfoots cohabitate.

Jennylee

So to follow my original post, I was able to put him in the bath twice today and by the looks of it, he should feel SOOOO much better now. I know it's gross, but I was really worried. Thanks everyone, I learned more from this post than I asked, and I really appreciate that!!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
So to follow my original post, I was able to put him in the bath twice today and by the looks of it, he should feel SOOOO much better now. I know it's gross, but I was really worried. Thanks everyone, I learned more from this post than I asked, and I really appreciate that!!

Hi there and welcome! Another source you can check out is ernest johnson and kamp kenan on youtube. Best wishes with yf!