New... with two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaSings66

5 Year Member
Both torts.jpgJewels eats prickly pear fruit.jpgHello! I am so happy to have found this forum! In August, our family was given two young/small Desert Tortoises from a family that didn't want them anymore. Tasha & Jewels, as the kids have named them, were given to us in a large glass aquarium tank, dome lighting fixtures with heat & sun lamps, rabbit pellets (as substrate), water dish and "log" hideout. The previous owners told us they only ever fed them plain romaine every other day. Since then, I have done some research and have learned that the tank isn't the even close to being the best option for them. Rather, they really need a safe location in the back yard providing necessary shade, native plants and places to burrow. Currently we are renting our home, so that isn't something we easily do in the back yard, given the "fancy" landscaping provided by the owner. However, best option, especially since they can see out and want to get out. However, until we can afford to give them a bigger tortoise house, I have installed cardboard all around the outside of the glass tank which helps keep them from wanting to climb the sides of the tank, driving themselves crazy (most of the time). We live in the Phoenix metro area. During the hot months (unless super hot, especially in the glass tank), we kept them outside in the tank in full shade (letting them out daily for fairly long periods of time). Now that it's colder, they are kept indoors, but we let them out of the tank every day to eat and roam in the house, which they seem to LOVE. We are so surprised at how social they are, responding positively to our voices when they hear us near the tank or how they follow us around the house. I have continued to feed them romaine, mostly because that's what they like the best. But I have also introduced Kale, prickly pear fruit, spinach. There aren't very interested in those foods, but I continue to try as these foods offer better nutritional value. I have MUCH to learn about these amazing creatures, so anything you have to share will be welcomed. I will post again, however, because I found you while searching for information about a possible broken "tooth" which i now know is a really called a "beak." See, I have MUCH to learn.
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Unless I am seeing wrong, those look to be Russian tortoises to me. To the food porblem, try taking the romaine they love so much and cutting it very very smal and using it like a spread over the "better" foods. Or cut all of it into small pieces and blend it well enough they can't so easily pick out their favorite food items. Do they have a place to soak? They seem a bit on the dry side. I must have misread, you did not have them outside in the glass tank right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup...those are Russian or steppe tortoises alrighty. And it looks like you may have a male and a female. By the way, they are full grown. Steppe tortoises don't get very big.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! What lovely Russians!!! I like this website when it comes to russian tortoise care: russiantortoise.org
Congratulations on your new family members. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats on your new russians. Here are a couple of ideas for outdoor enclosures. One temporary which should fit into your current situation, and one more permanent for later.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

Their diet should be mostly broadleaf weeds. Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a really good "Testudo Mix". It is formulated just for russians and it grows really well.

Oh, and be prepared to separate them and build two enclosures. Russians are very scrappy and seldom get along for very for for long as a pair. They will tear each other up. Watch for chasing, biting, head bobbing, etc...

MamaSings66

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all of your replies! I told y'all I had MUCH to learn! I just googled Russian Tortoise pics which prompted me to contact the previous owner who confirmed to my surprise that, yes, they ARE Russian. IDK why I was sure she said Desert Tortoise, but all this time, that's what I though so that's how I've been caring for them. I've got a lot of NEW research to do. Either way, our family really enjoys the new additions. But, if they are male and female, we want to make sure we only have two! Tom, you mentioned they can be scrappy. The smaller one, Tasha, has tried to chase and bite the bigger one, Jewels, for no apparent reason, but it has been rare (so far). They've been together for about three years. So, now I feel like I'm back to the beginning. Thank you for the site referrals. I'll need them. =S

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you post some pictures of their tails, we should be able to give you a guess on their gender. The male Russian is normally the small one. You may have no problems with them being together, if they have plenty of room and visual barriers. Getting another female can help too. I know you said you only want the two, but it is something to think about.

MamaSings66

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
If you post some pictures of their tails, we should be able to give you a guess on their gender. The male Russian is normally the small one. You may have no problems with them being together, if they have plenty of room and visual barriers. Getting another female can help too. I know you said you only want the two, but it is something to think about.

I've attached pictures for your review and assistance. Upon further investigation, I definitely see the difference. The pic labeled Tasha is the male AND Jewels the female. If you can confirm, that would be great! As we were getting these pics, my hub and I had a pretty good laugh. Fifteen years ago, neither of would have ever believed we'd be taking pics of tortoise "tails." LOL! :p
Tasha tail.jpgJewels tail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaSings66

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! Unless I am seeing wrong, those look to be Russian tortoises to me. To the food porblem, try taking the romaine they love so much and cutting it very very smal and using it like a spread over the "better" foods. Or cut all of it into small pieces and blend it well enough they can't so easily pick out their favorite food items. Do they have a place to soak? They seem a bit on the dry side. I must have misread, you did not have them outside in the glass tank right?

Thank you for the great suggestion about the food. Yes, they probably are on the dry side, considering we were told they were Desert Tortoise and, therefore, only gave a small watering dish in their enclosure. I'll have to figure out where they can "soak" and how often they need it. We did keep them outside in the tank, but it was not closed and was in kept in the shade on our back patio. When the temps were very high we brought them inside to stay.

MamaSings66

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Welcome! What lovely Russians!!! I like this website when it comes to russian tortoise care: russiantortoise.org
Congratulations on your new family members. :)

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I'll check out that site. Thanks, again! :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO and Russian tortoise ownership! They are a great and easy species to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.