Help from Kansas-choosing a tort species?

Korri

Hello from Kansas City! I am new to the forum, and posted a similar thread on the intro forum, but figured my question would be better suited here. So please forgive me for posting a similar item.

I have been reading all the posts, species care sheets, etc. as I have been wanting a tortoise for awhile. I have never owned a tortoise before but after all my reading and learning I think I am finally ready! I have narrowed down my choices to the following species: hermanns, greeks, russians, and redfoots. I was wondering if y'all could give me some insight into what species would be the best for a first time owner from Kansas? The tortoise will be able to be outside whenever the weather is permitting (as I live on several acers), but will have to live inside when we are experiencing extreme cold, heat, storms, etc. Since I do not have much prior experience I currently plan on not hibernating my tort. I also know that some tortoises need different humilities, and was wondering if the humidity in Kansas would be better suited for one tort over the other. It would also be nice if it could be on the more personable side for a tortoise (even though I know torts are not the most sociable creatures by nature). Thank y'all for the help!

Robber

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
I would just keep in mind that if you go with a redfoot, a) it will probably grow a bit larger than the others and b) you will need to take extra measures to keep the humidity high enough when it's inside during the winter, especially given how much the heat runs in the house during Midwest winters, which dries the heck out of the air. This means you will absolutely need a closed chamber enclosure(which isn't a bad idea for the others either so you can more easily control the climate). That said, our redfoot is one our favorite tortoises - they are generally active, curious, responsive, and also have a more varied diet, which can be convenient in the winter(if you run out of good greens, they can eat fruit/vegetable mix or a protein that day instead).

The humidity outside can work for either - you will just need to have plenty of plants(for any species) and spray the enclosure down during the hottest days in July and August(moreso for the redfoot).

Korri

I would just keep in mind that if you go with a redfoot, a) it will probably grow a bit larger than the others and b) you will need to take extra measures to keep the humidity high enough when it's inside during the winter, especially given how much the heat runs in the house during Midwest winters, which dries the heck out of the air. This means you will absolutely need a closed chamber enclosure(which isn't a bad idea for the others either so you can more easily control the climate). That said, our redfoot is one our favorite tortoises - they are generally active, curious, responsive, and also have a more varied diet, which can be convenient in the winter(if you run out of good greens, they can eat fruit/vegetable mix or a protein that day instead).

The humidity outside can work for either - you will just need to have plenty of plants(for any species) and spray the enclosure down during the hottest days in July and August(moreso for the redfoot).

Thank you for the input. Would you say that the redfoot is the friendliest of the species I have listed above then? Also, how hard is it to control the humidity and for that reason would it be better to look at a tortoise that is not as sensitive to humidity?

ethan508

Northern Utah
What is the humidity like in Kansas? Matching your climate to the climate of the tortoise's natural range for easiest care. With a big outdoor pen you can do a lot of landscaping to create micro-climates that allow for slightly high/lower humidity and temperatures, but on the bulk you are stuck with what mother nature gives you.

I live in a cold dry climate so I needed a pretty hardy species. I picked Russians because they existed in more northern and less humid climates than many other tortoises. My tortoise pen is outside but I they have good temporary housing inside for prolonged cold spells in the spring/fall (I'm bringing them in for the upcoming 'winter storm warning, we have for the next few days). I hibernate them in the winter (using a fridge in the garage).

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Choose one of the Testudo species. They are much more cold tolerant and have great personalities.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Thank you for the input. Would you say that the redfoot is the friendliest of the species I have listed above then? Also, how hard is it to control the humidity and for that reason would it be better to look at a tortoise that is not as sensitive to humidity?

My Hermann's are also quite personable, but in a different way than the RF. It's not that hard with the right enclosure, but it would be something you definitely wouldn't have to worry about as much with a Testudo sp.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I vote redfoot, if you have a large enough space for indoor winter housing. They are larger, which can be a plus or a negative. Not as much escape artusts. Can be much more colorful. I think they are friendlier. Have a wider dietary selection.

...and "Hi neighbor". I live about 3-4 hours from you.

Emma Vanderheyden

From what I have seen, Russians are extremely friendly and most welcome to humans.