New Tortoise Species Disputed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amici

5 Year Member
Amici Pygal Crp.jpgAmici Front Foot Crp.jpgAmici Profile Crp.jpgAmici Carapace Crp.jpgAmici Plastron Crp.jpg

Attached are the pictures of the tortoise that I am attempting to identify species and approximate age. I was told that he is a male Russian by the so called rescue house, though with the rosy skin, my vet is leaning toward a male Eastern Box, with a bit of 'mutt' thrown in.

Weight, 423 grams
Caliper measurements, length and width of carapace: 5" front to back, 3" at the narrowest part of his 'waist'.

Rosy skin , more so on neck and front limbs.
With his former reconstituted pellets diet, his coloring is likely 'faded'.

His eyes appear to be black and are solid in color. [He has a moderately serious vitamin A deficiency, for which he is being treated.]

Five front toes, four back toes.

In my limited tortoise experience, he is the least active tortoise that I have seen, though much of this can be attributed to being ill. With vet care he is doing better. Amici is now eats and drinks well, though he does not climb, moves slowly, is not curious, acts somewhat awkward. I do not quite know how to describe it; he is clumsy as if he were developmentally challenged. He does allow me to rub his head and neck.

Any ID assistance and age estimate you may lend, will be greatly appreciated.

Amici's Mom,

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

amici

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
It is a Greek Tortoise. Find a new Vet immediately.....

Thank you!

I live in a humid Gulf Coast region and the tortoise is housed outdoors in a 4' x 5' tortoise table, located on our covered patio. Does he need to be housed indoors due to the humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not good at I.D.'ing the Mediterranean species of tortoise, but my guess was going to be Greek too. Glad to see that Eric told you what it is. I AM good at I.D.ing the box turtle species, and I'm A #1, absolutely POSITIVE that there is NO box turtle in that tortoise. I'd be willing to bet that is a physical impossibility anyway.

Since your vet seems to be pretty un-knowledgeable about turtles and tortoises, I would cease and desist whatever Vitamin A treatment is has undertaken. Some vets over do the vitamin A injections and you end up with an animal that has no skin and a pretty bad infection.

I doubt if your natural humidity will effect this tortoise. Was your rescue in your area? If so, the tortoise has been living in the humid environment for some time. And, don't forget, some tortoises, Greek tortoises, come from areas with high humidity too.

amici

5 Year Member
The tortoise was rescued from a deplorable so called rescue house. Imagine an eccentric unmarried individual with 100 'rescue' reptiles inside a small filthy house.

When acquired, Amici was in obvious respiratory distress with crackles that has been slow to resolve. He also had a snotty nose, sticky, depressed, and cloudy eyes. His skin is in rough shape. I understand vitamin A deficiency is over diagnosed, but in this case, considering the tortoises diet, I believe that the vet is spot on.

My concern is with the outdoor 70 - 90% humidity much of the year, and Amici's pneumonia. From multiple legitimate sources, I understand he will now be more susceptible to respiratory issues and that the humidity will work against him. What I don't know, is with good care, the likelihood of continued problems. We are not going to house a tortoise indoors, and if left outdoors is harmful, I need to find a different resolution.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.