Concerned new tortoise owner help required

Kaylz_33

Location (City and/or State)
Cramlington
Hi I recently bought my mam a horsefield tortoise for her birthday. We have had him around 4 months but he is over a year old. Over the last 4 days he has barely moved or eaten. Today his legs are all shooting out as though in spasm and he is stretching his neck right up and his mouth his gaping open. He is usually very active. We are concerned there is something seriously wrong. Any help is much appreciated
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like he's having trouble breathing. May we see pictures of him in his enclosure, including the lights?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I recently bought my mam a horsefield tortoise for her birthday. We have had him around 4 months but he is over a year old. Over the last 4 days he has barely moved or eaten. Today his legs are all shooting out as though in spasm and he is stretching his neck right up and his mouth his gaping open. He is usually very active. We are concerned there is something seriously wrong. Any help is much appreciated
Thank you
We need more info. What are your temperatures? What are you using for heating and lighting? Substrate? Food?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No pics showing yet if you've tried to upload them

Kaylz_33

Cramlington
He is eating leafy green mostly salad leaves, temperature is between 70-80 degrees with his heat lamp off. With the lamp on may up to 90 degrees.
He mostly eats mixed leaves of cress, spinach and rocket.
My mam is saying it looks as though he is constipated and his bum looks sore?
I apologise for the photos I am not with my mam and she is not the best.....

IMG-20210119-WA0012.jpgIMG-20210119-WA0013.jpgIMG-20210119-WA0010.jpgIMG-20210119-WA0008.jpgIMG-20210119-WA0011.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is eating leafy green mostly salad leaves, temperature is between 70-80 degrees with his heat lamp off. With the lamp on may up to 90 degrees.
He mostly eats mixed leaves of cress, spinach and rocket.
My mam is saying it looks as though he is constipated and his bum looks sore?
I apologise for the photos I am not with my mam and she is not the best.....
The diet needs more variety and more fiber.

70-80 is fine but there needs to be a warm area directly beneath the bulb that is close to 100 degrees.

That water bowl isn't suitable for tortoises and probably isn't being used.

That substrate is much too dry and desiccating. They need something safe and damp.

Sounds like you mam might need to start doing some daily warm water soaks.

All of this and more is explained in here. You can have mam read this, and questions are welcome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You need a more better thermometer near tort level, the dial ones pet shops sell aren't very good.
Most of use a digital thermometer and hygrometer with a safely placed probe are more accurate.
I hope he's OK

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Any chance of showing us a video of him as he is now?
I can see a uvb tube in the pics but do you have any other lamps for basking or night heat?

Kaylz_33

Cramlington
I am gutted to be writing this but we think he has just died. He has stopped moving completely.

Kaylz_33

Cramlington
Any chance of showing us a video of him as he is now?
I can see a uvb tube in the pics but do you have any other lamps for basking or night heat?
Yes there is a basking lamp at one end and we have a heat map with a probe underneath. I did so much research prior to buying him (or thought I had) . My mam has always wanted a tortoise and we got him as a special gift for her 60th birthday. I feel we've done something wrong and I feel dreadful.

Kaylz_33

Cramlington
The diet needs more variety and more fiber.

70-80 is fine but there needs to be a warm area directly beneath the bulb that is close to 100 degrees.

That water bowl isn't suitable for tortoises and probably isn't being used.

That substrate is much too dry and desiccating. They need something safe and damp.

Sounds like you mam might need to start doing some daily warm water soaks.

All of this and more is explained in here. You can have mam read this, and questions are welcome.
He has completely stopped moving and we think he has died. Is there anyway to check? Could there be another explanation?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to read this. It sounds like the baby was constipated from being too dry, and dehydration. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but to further your knowledge in case you want to try again.

Kaylz_33

Cramlington
I'm so sorry to read this. It sounds like the baby was constipated from being too dry, and dehydration. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but to further your knowledge in case you want to try again.
Thank you for your advice

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry to hear this, It doesn't sound good but dont bury him yet, keep him warm overnight as there have been cases of torts seemingly died but reviving.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I'm so sorry to hear this, it looks like you were trying so hard. I'm not an expert just some ideas from reading- there are some woods that are dangerous to tortoises like cedar, and particle board (looks like the box material) has chemicals. A substrate like coconut fiber sprayed with water is supposed to hold in humidity and around 4" deep so they can burrow. Depending on the age baths for 15 minutes a day or a few times a week. I think I read that spinach can cause kidney issues like with humans. I wonder if he got cold and is hibernating. Wishing you the best!