New tortoise owner seeking advice

tomk12

Hey everyone
I've just purchased my first tortoise ( a horsefield/Russian) just looking for some useful do's and dont's

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tom!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tom welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . Russians rule !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome! Congrats on your first tortoise. Please post pictures. :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Russians can climb anything, just be ready for it :)

tomk12

Thanks guys :)here's a pic of my little guy and his home,helpful criticism welcome!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410969477.625860.jpg

tomk12

Hey guys!, I have just bought my first tortoise a Russian/horsefield,here's a pic of him and his home!! helpful criticism welcome :) thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410969725.205765.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The light would be better hanging straight down. Especially if it is a Mercury Vapor Bulb. You shorten the life of the bulb having it at an angle. Also, you are dispersing the heat. Pointing straight down you would have a hot spot for basking. Buy some coco coir or orchid bark to use as a top layer over tht soil. You don't want the tortoise to eat those little white dots. Sink the little dishes down into the substrate. Tortoises (because of their shell) don't bend, and having to go up and over an edge like that makes it harder for them to eat and drink.

Last edited:

tomk12

Ok thank you :) I'll pick up some more bedding tomorrow, the only problem I have is that the lamp is on a clamp and I'm unable to point it straight down, I'm going to have to build a little post for the light, thanks

Emmyx1x

Hi Tom and welcome.
Congrats on your baby, utterly gorgeous may I add.
I agree with previous comments, definitely bury those dishes somewhat and get that lamp hanging.
Lovely that you have a little hiding place.

Spannerz

Hey Tom, welcome!

Looks like a little heartbreaker there. I should be getting my Russian in a couple of weeks, exciting stuff.

Hope to see more pics soon :)

tomk12

Hey guys, the bowls are now buried and picking up a stand for the lamp tomorrow :) I double checked on the substrate and it is absolutely fine, anything that is consumed can be easily passed, here's another pic of my little guy, thanks :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411064051.744514.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi Tom, congrats. Can u elaborate a bit more on the white bits that are all in your substrate? I'm concerned your lil guy will go around gobbling them up. Big cactus there!

tomk12

Hi, it's called pro rep tortoise life, after the first comment made about I did some research on it and could find anything wrong, I also visited my local independent reptile shop and asked about it, they told me it's absolutely fine and anything eaten can be digested, I'm not 100% what the little white bits are but they can be easily crushed, thanks

tomk12

I think the people at the shop said they were little limestones? Like I said I'm new to this and I'm only going on what I have been told :)