New tortoise owner here: anyone think my 6 month old sulcata pyramiding?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Just guys wait until your cute little babies look like this...100_0912.JPG
This is Dudley Gomez...120 lbs and oh gosh I forgot how old he is now...21? but to get this shot I was on my knees in front of a basically wild tortoise as his keeper treats him like a tortoise.. not a pet...You get on your knees with those gular 12 inches away from the camera...freakin scary...this guy is like heavy machinery...massive strength just oozes from him in waves. I generally sneak him a treat and mess around with him some...I believe with the memory recall from bigger older torts is really odd. Even Mary remembers where she has escaped before and goes back to those spots and tries it again...I know Dudley remembers me...

Last edited:

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Thanks, I think you know Mary Knobbins...a rescue... 8 years about...and 35 lbs...
Yes we all know Mary Knobbins, wish I could help you with Mary, sometimes Sammy is very demanding and get into a few situations that upsets me. But I don't know what I would do with out him.

ryan57

PA
Sorry, but tortoises are not trees, the scutes don't show age...I have an 8 yr old Sulcata whose growth lines are white. If I misunderstood you, I apologize...:)
My understanding is that of Wellington as posted earlier in this thread.

ryan57

PA
He’s too cute!! Haha yeah I will give it a good read and from what I’m reading I’m going to try to make most of his diet grass. Feed him daily with that and add in maybe romaine every other day. Keep the bone in there and keep the pellets probably too. Thanks for posting pictures mine doesn’t look too much different so that’s good.
Mazuri LS small tortoise is the info I got from the manufacturer then mazuri LS beyond 1 year. I moisten them like soggy grape nuts and (s)he LOVES them.

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
I just weighed him and he came in at 215 grams. I feed him romaine everyday with a grass pellet. I also soak him nearly everyday for 10 min. The old thing I know I need to do differently is get him some more space to roam in. His shell measure 4.5 by 4.5. The shell seems slightly raised but I’m not sure if that’s part of normal development. Anyways any thoughts? View attachment 347415View attachment 347414View attachment 347416View attachment 347417
He looks good... you might want to include a hide for him, incase he wants to choose a cooler spot or darker place.